idle issues.. my oldsmobile cutlass cierra is overrevving in park and neutral gears its an auto..and then when i switch it into gear the rpms drop off an it acts like its choking and then its normal.

45

Asked by Feb 05, 2013 at 01:26 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

Any ideas from the gurus? It idles high then change to a drive gear and it drops off low to almost shutting off sounds like choking
and then goes to normal idling. havent noticed any difference in actual driving. also its a 1995 but the description doesnt list a
1995

101,525

A vacuum leak might be the cause. Check the large hose from the brake booster to the engine.

8,845

Definitely check for a vacuum leak. Which engine is under the hood? If it is the 3800, a vacuum leak is definitely the most likely cause. If one of the smaller engines, I would suspect an intake manifold gasket leak. If there are no vacuum leaks, I would check out the throttle position sensor and crank position sensor. Either one can cause these symptoms as well.

45

its a 3.1 v6 i believe..

45

turned out to be a tps problem. not sure what that is but its all fixed now, it made it easy to find once the engine light came on.

1,645

I'd say it's most likely a vacuum leak

8,845

TPS is your Throttle Position Sensor. It was misreading the throttle opening.

70

I have a 1994 oldsmobile ceria cutless S and I changed the map sensor , Tps sensor, also the idle air flow valve and it's still idling high

30

I have a 1987 cutlass with 3.8l it will run fine but it takes off and idles high turn off key and restart and idles fine . Go to drive it and get a code 32 and idles high turn off and restart and idles low. Can anyone help me with this issue?

I got a 1993i wondering is it the tps causing it to idle high a Little with the 3.3v6 I would like to no