idle issues.. my oldsmobile cutlass cierra is overrevving in park and neutral gears its an auto..and then when i switch it into gear the rpms drop off an it acts like its choking and then its normal.

Tommy Sage
35

Asked by Feb 05, 2013 at 01:26 PM about the 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Dr S Sedan

Any ideas from the gurus? It idles high then change to a drive gear and it drops off low to almost shutting off sounds like choking
and then goes to normal idling. havent noticed any difference in actual driving. also its a 1995 but the description doesnt list a
1995

87,165

A vacuum leak might be the cause. Check the large hose from the brake booster to the engine.

Michael Tutty
7,615

Definitely check for a vacuum leak. Which engine is under the hood? If it is the 3800, a vacuum leak is definitely the most likely cause. If one of the smaller engines, I would suspect an intake manifold gasket leak. If there are no vacuum leaks, I would check out the throttle position sensor and crank position sensor. Either one can cause these symptoms as well.

Tommy Sage
35

its a 3.1 v6 i believe..

Tommy Sage
35

turned out to be a tps problem. not sure what that is but its all fixed now, it made it easy to find once the engine light came on.

Bradley Shelledy
1,265

I'd say it's most likely a vacuum leak

Michael Tutty
7,615

TPS is your Throttle Position Sensor. It was misreading the throttle opening.

Markie Benford Johnson
50

I have a 1994 oldsmobile ceria cutless S and I changed the map sensor , Tps sensor, also the idle air flow valve and it's still idling high

Jdw2
20

I have a 1987 cutlass with 3.8l it will run fine but it takes off and idles high turn off key and restart and idles fine . Go to drive it and get a code 32 and idles high turn off and restart and idles low. Can anyone help me with this issue?