02 mitsubishi montero sport started shaking going up hills

Asked by Nov 13, 2014 at 07:51 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD

My 02 Mitsubishi Montero sport just started this, I was driving home from work no problem, then I got to a hill and it started shaking and the service engine light came on. but when I was on a straight away it ran fine. As soon as I got to a hill it would like loose power and start to shake, when I would take my foot off the gas, it would stop shaking. I took it to AutoZone to have them read the code for the light and it said 3rd cylinder misfire. doesn't seem like that would be causing my truck to shutter so much. any help would be appreciated

10

We have had the same problem with ours. At Auto Zone and the garage it also read that. Changed it out and not long after that the same problem happened. Read the same problem again. Before this we had tune up, plugs and fuel filter replaced among other things because it was doing it then. Have not came to a conclusion as to what it is. I just know we are not going to keep taking it to a garage when they don't even know. If they can guess and keep taking our money then we are going to get to the root of the problem. I am a female and my thought is the catalytic converter is clogged. Going to give this a try. It has been 1 1/2 years for us. Love my vehicle and hate to get rid of it. Great gas mileage!!

Cylinder misfiring sound about right.. it will cause the shaking.

I own this model with same issue. It is transmission shudder caused by bad trans fluid. It needs "flushed & filled" not just changed. Requires SPIII fluid, Castrol has a import ATF for Japenese vehicles that will work, cost around $175-$200 to fix this, i have put on another 27K miles after repair, no more "driving on rumble strips" sensation..flush n fill ATF....

I have an 02 Montero xls full size and went through this as well, thinking it was the transmission, had fluid changed, flushed, filled, sp3 what have you but problem would always return. Finally took it to a transmission repair place and he hook it to a computer and told me nothing was wrong with transmission but there was a misfire in one of the cylinders, told me to get tune up and make sure they replace coil packs, i got just plugs and wires done and it immediately ran fine. about a year later it is starting again. time to get the coil packs done. PS transmission has worked fine since then.