Oil and filter change on 99 Mitsubishi monte to sport 4x4

Asked by Feb 06, 2015 at 03:05 PM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4 Dr Limited 4WD SUV

Do you have a diagram to show where/how to change oil and filter

Are you asking how to change the engine oil? If so, I have it ready. But your wording is..umm..what?

Oh what the heck, I wrote it, so might as well post it. For the life of me I can not find a picture of where the oil filter is on your Mitsu. Monte. But I did find that it is an ordinary cartridge type. Go to auto parts store and tell them you want an oil filter for your car, they will ask questions. You will need a strap wrench that looks like below, and yur gonna just have to crawl under and find it. Run engine until warm, then wait about 15 minutes for most of oil to drain in to sump. Pull the plug from pan, allow to drain. Dispose of properly PLEASE! Some parts places accept used oil. Use the strap wrench to unscrew the filter, PLEASE dispose of that properly also. The filter that is, not the wrench. If filter is vertical. fill with new oil. If not don't worry about it. Put a film of clean motor oil on the rubber gasket of new filter with your finger, screw on until it makes contact with block, then turn 2/3 turn more, by hand only. Do NOT use wrench. Torque pan plug to spec. What that is idk but a good snug turn will be fine. Decide between conventional-mineral motor oil, or synthetic. Either is fine, synthetic cost 2X more and last 2x longer in miles or time both. Personally I use Mobil1. Fill with whatever it says the capacity is in the owners manual, minus 1 quart. Start, run for 30 seconds and shut off. Wait 10 minutes, pull and wipe dipstick, top off to full. Start, check for leaks. You are on the road my friend.

Bob Beaman

Please Note: I have no way of gauging your vehicle servicing talents or you mechanical aptitude sitting at this computer. I would respectfully suggest that if you need instructions on changing oil, you should not be changing the oil. Get someone else to do it or get someone to demonstrate how to change the oil. Leaving something loose or forgetting to put oil in your vehicle could cost you thousands of dollars. This is NOT intended to offend you.

Good point Bob