how to change spark plugs 1999 montero sport

Asked by Mar 16, 2013 at 07:51 PM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4 Dr LS SUV

Really just need to change cylinder #1. Thanks

315

u can't change it alone u have to remove the intake manifold and remove the ignition coil because its very small place to remove it

You've done this roy? if there's room for the bolt to back out. there's gonna be room for the swivel with 12" extension-

if this is a tricky one do recommend you spend the extra scratch for a swivel socket (1/2" drive or 3/8" or even 1/4" if starved for real estate), sturdy enough) to get into inconvenient angles-

a lot of sparkplug sockets have a hex top so you can wrench 'em if in a tight space....refuse to believe that a intake manifold need to be removed to get at the sparkplug....whooof- luck on that one.

315

i am an technician and i own an montero sport 1999 and yes i've done it before many times

30

You Need to remove the intake plenum/manifold and coil pack....I suggest taking pictures of the removal at many stages for reinstall assist...also be very careful to MARK ALL of your vacuum wiring harness connections and check for cracked hoses and broken wires...(note DO NOT remove injectors or fuel rails) also if plugs have been ignored for longer than 60k between replace check coil pack for burned or leaking issues, as plug gap loses integrity it takes more spark to ignite fuel and thus makes coil pack heat up and often times fail....do not cheap it out on plugs they are hard to get to and need to be pre-set platinum quality...NGK platinum fine wire or Bosch platinum plus 4 are what I rec...do not try to adjust gap as they are pre set....take your time with this....I know it is hard to believe that you need to remove intake plenum/manifold but that is how its done!!! Remember engineers design these thing to run not necessarily for ease of repair...Service technician job security...???? Good Luck, Gary

5,815

why change the one ,,, change them all and don't forget to gap them to spec ,, even if they say pregapped

10

I hav a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero LT & I hav a misfire in cylinder 1 & just need to change out the spark plug #1 ... Can't I just do that by removing the small bracket above the area where spark plug 1 is ? Need immediate advice as I need to do it now ? Please Help ( And does anyone kno if a place where they rebuild tenants for cheap? )

30

Roy I have a question I recently did a tune up on my 2001 mitsubishi montero sport 3.0l and have to bolts with triangular treads on them. Do you have any idea where they go. http://rs338.pbsrc.com/albums/n409/RangerDu ally/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0632.jpg? w=480&h=480&fit=clip