Airbag light is on

45

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 12:43 PM about the 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

When I start my car the airbag light will come on, then I hear three beeps, and the light turns off. Is
there a problem with the airbag module? Or is it somewhere else in the srs system?

79,135

When you first start the car the airbag system runs a diagnosis. If the light goes out after a few seconds the airbag system is ok. If the light remains on there's a problem with the system and the airbags will NOT deploy in a collision. Since it sounds like the light is operating normally I believe your airbag system is ok. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
45

The only thing is the beeps are new, just started a week ago. I have had the car over a year

79,135

I had to run some errands today so I paid attention to the airbag light on my '08 Grand Marquis. It operates just as you described yours. The beeping may be several things. Check your owner's manual. My car dings until I put the seatbelt on. I assume this is more of a beep. Like a warning. I'll look at my owner's manual since our cars are similar & see if I can come up with a more definitive answer for you. HTH. -Jim

45

Thank you and I will look in my manual. I am hoping that the new beeps are nothing real severe.

1,125

Chances are the manuals won't have the code reasons in them guys. may have to take into your local Ford dealer an have them run the computers on it. If is only a short beep beep beep an then the light goes out it may just be something in the system doing a check. if you notice however a flashing airbag indicator an the beeps do either a 5 to 1 flash or a 1 to 5 flash it may be the system telling you to have it replaced. my 94 an my dads 04 did the same things 3 months apart from each other an it ended up being a worn out sensor on the passanger side SRS air bag. Simple fix at any dealer an well worth the time an money for the safty of anyone in the car.