where is the switch for the rear shocks

Asked by Jul 03, 2013 at 11:49 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

If you car is equipped with load leveling, the switch should be somewhere near the left side trunk hinge. It's a rocker switch.

David Meisch

I believe Tracy is 100% correct if we're talking about the Air Ride Suspension shut off for hoisting, lifting or shipping vehicles because that is where mine is on my Ford, Crown Victoria LX (Basically the same car). During my almost 15 years of working as a contract employee at Ford's, AZ Proving Grounds / Light Truck Durability, I learned this was in the same two areas on most Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicles such as Explorer vs. Mountaineer, Expedition vs. Navigator and the Excursion's equipped with Air Ride. Also the Fuel shut off / reset switch can be located in the same area but is subject to make, model and year and can more commonly be found at the right front kick panel. The kick panel usually doesn't need to be removed but can be a little tricky to find but there is a cut away and just under glove box, top right of the kick panel and mid way back you should feel it but it's not very visible. In suv's and trucks this little red approx. 1/2 " around button can pop out on very rough roads and bumps (same as designed to do in a collision) and wreak havoc on your like causing you to think your fuel pump has gone out. Press to reset and you're back in business.

Michael Tutty

Granted my Crown was older, but the rocker switch for the air ride was on the right side of the trunk, even with the back of the trunk opening. On that same car, the fuel pump reset was on the driver's side trunk hinge.

David Meisch

Michael, I probably should have clarified myself but, I think we're saying the same thing - in the drivers seat / facing forward toward the windshield is the left side (Automotive Standards).The picture I took and illustrated, was on the driver / left rear side of the trunk and was from my 04 Crown Vic parked in the driveway and my 98 Vic was in the same exact place but they were both LX with Air Ride Suspension and both special orders with all the bells and whistles plus my personal favorite is the full dual exhaust with the "H" pipe (although it does have two light off cat's & two secondary cat's - good old emissions, LOL) but, it sure hauls butt. And, for the Ford Lt.Truck line, anything "Without Air Ride" the fuel shut off and reset button is almost always at the front right passenger kick panel. If I confused anyone with that extra bit of info regarding fuel shut off and reset, I'm sorry Bro!!! It really wasn't my intent....I was trying to save some people a lot of money. Just the towing bill hurts when it's a simple reset switch.

David Meisch

I probably should have clarified on the Ford SUV line with Air Ride, the Switch will be inside the left rear panel, adjacent to your equipment for replacing your spare tire (The bottle jack that never works because it doesn't fit under the vehicle, if you actually have a flat tire but, that again varies from year to year and make and model too. Hope that was a little helpful...

Michael Tutty

Dave: My 92 had the switch for the air ride on the right (passenger) side of the car, not the left (driver's side) as in your answer. I have no idea about the newer ones. That one year living with the 4.6 was enough to turn me off the cars for ever! I'll take a 351 any day. More torque, by a large margin, better performance, and miles better fuel economy. Also, a carburetor, so no fuel shut off, and I'll take the Trailer Tow III heavy duty springs over air ride any day. I had that combo in my 89 Grand Marquis LS sedan. Man do I miss that car!

I don't have an answer per se but a question. Recently, my hydraulics/rear shocks suspension system deflates in the morning or cooler days for some reason. No problem in inflating when the car starts. Thoughts on what is happening? Perhaps sign of replacing?

I have a 2002 mercury grand marquis and my car sits down in the rear. Where can the problem be since the air bags are okay.

My Grandmas car the back end lowered after it was jacked up. Any idea what we could do to lift it back up. We've tried the switch on the left side of the trunk. Trying to restart it to air up, and nothing happened.