My 2000 Grand marquis over heated very badly and check engine light came on, car ran horribly~went after 5 months and ran better! Now lights on again and were back to bucking and running bad! HELP

Asked by Jul 16, 2013 at 05:55 PM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS

I think the trans may be going but don't have the money to have it checked!

What do you mean buy went after 5 months? Did you get the car fixed and the light went out? Fix the overheating problem and changed the oil? If the light is back on, it could be anything, scan for codes for free at your local auto parts store and post back in this thread the 4 digit code. Probably not the trans, so save your money for now.

Ok! What I meant was the light went out by itself after 5 months...Then then comes on and goes off randomly! Also I don't know if it matters or not but the heater core has been bypassed! That was the source of the overheating! I didn't know auto parts stores checked codes! Thanks!

Bypassing the heater core won't necessarily trip a code.

Hard to believe that someone would drive a car for 5 months with the "Check Engine" light on. I have to wonder about what damage may have been done while driving for 5 months in "Limp" mode. Possibly none but it isn't a great idea to drive a broken car anywhere! Wonder what the brakes and tires look like?

ll let me give you some insight Tracy! The kind of person who was recently widowed unexpectedly and left with 2 boys a mortgage and host of other bills......Brakes are good, tires are new! Haters are gonna hate! Have a nice day!

I just see a lot of unsafe junk on the road. I'll stick to servicing my police fleet.