My 2001 Lincoln Town car won't start

Asked by Feb 03, 2017 at 11:39 PM about the 2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive

My children's mother through my car in park and it
was empty I tried to start it for got there was no
gas slipped my mind arguing with her try to start it
battery went Dead was not thanking so I put 6
gallons of gas in it charged the battery and still
won't start put new fuel pump in still won't start
what else could it be

60

all that cranking trying to start the car on an empty tank may have sucked out all the sludge on the bottom of the fuel tank and clogged your fuel filter as well as fuel injectors. Try replacing both. start with fuel filter as it is the cheapest quick fix and see if your 2001 TC starts up. it may? run rough so injectors are prob dirty.

60

let me add to my first answer that u will need a complete fuel system cleansing.

35

Rusty is most likely correct regarding sedment in the bottom of an 9ld fuel tankbut, ethanol fuels dissolve most varnish / sludge unlike old non-ethanol. I would suspect the fuel system is air-bound. This occurs when the tank is run dry and air is introduced via the fuel pump. The fuel pump will fry itself if the engine is cranked excessively with no fuel as the pump is cooled by being immersed in fuel ( never let the tank go below 1/4 full to extend the life of the pump). Now that you already have a new pump , the fix may be to bleed the air out of the fuel rail on top of the engine.in DO NOT do this without a fire extinguisher and a 2nd person ready at the ignition to turn the key to off ! Also, be sure to cover the battery with a clean , oil free cloth or cardboard to avoid gas coming in contact with the battery poles - this can cause an explosion . Do not crank the engine - only turn the key to thre run / on position ( not all the way to start ). Bleed the air out to the point of fuel coming out. Make sure there is no gas or gas vapor in the engine bay - try to start the car. DO THIS OUTDOORS - not in a garage, even with the door open as fumes quickly build up and a small spark will cause a major explosion. Good luck!