1997 Lincoln Mark VIII right bank missing.

15

Asked by Aug 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM about the 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII 2 Dr STD Coupe

Diagnostics showed cylinder number 4 missing but then I ran the test again and it showed number 2. Over the course of testing all of the cylinders on the right bank showed misses at various times (but usually only one at a time). The left bank is fine. When the car is cold, it runs rough (misses) at idle but once it warms up it runs fine at idle but misses when accelerating. Once it is up to speed it seems to run fine. Any thoughts?

70,255

If you're due for a tune up, do that first. As part of the tune up have a compression test done. Cylinders 2 & 4 are next to each other. I suspect a possible blown head gasket. HTH. -Jim

15

Thanks for the response Jim. I will have that checked. I'm not sure that is it though because all four cylinders will miss randomly, and usually only one at a time. I suspect that a head gasket issue would be a little more consistent. And for what it's worth, no white smoke, no water in the oil. Can't hurt to check though. I'm kind of leaning toward an electrical issue, The car was driven through some pretty deep water the day before this issue appeared. (Probably would have been a good idea to add that info in the original post, sorry.) There were floods in the area and the car was in water well past mid wheel. -Rolly

70,255

Yup, water can wreak havoc on the ignition system. Honestly, once it dries out it'll probably be fine. HTH. -Jim

I have a '97 mark viii and I'm told that driving in water up to the bumper will do a number of bad things that "drying out" won't cure. Another strange possibility: a collapsed catalytic converter. Happened on my 2005 Jag. -I Swear it's true.

15

Solution turned out to be a condensation issue. I pulled the cover off the coil packs and the gasket was twisted. There was water condensed on the cover and down by the plug. The boot and plug looked like they they had been experiencing water for a while. Installed new boots and plugs all the way around, put a little sealant to fix the damaged gasket and it's running like a top. Thanks for all your help and suggestions, guys.

70,255

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it fixed. -Jim