What does a Mark VIII do when it needs a MAP sensor

Asked by Jul 18, 2016 at 06:51 AM about the 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2 Dr STD Coupe

Hesitates and acts like it needs a tune up

31,515

Miles? Is the check engine light on?

10,645

NO MAP.. sensor on '96 Mark VIII 4.6 V8 DOHC 281CID

31,515

Correct, there is no MAP sensor on his Lincoln. A 4.6 DOHC with lots of miles could have 1 or more bad coil on plug causing it to run rough. If the spark plugs haven't been changed in a long time, maybe pull the plugs and look at them. If you have a bad coil I would change all of them and I recommend using only Motorcraft coils as there are sometimes issues with the some of the aftermarket ones. Off course there could be other issues causing it not to run right, but bad plugs and coil is the most common. Also if you change the plugs, proper torque is critical when reinstalling them. The aluminum threads are easily stripped. I am still curious if the check engine light is on.

Thank you Bob, No the check engine light is not on and I had a shop that is know as good, change the plugs and wires in October 2015 they were not Motorcraft I bought the high performance split fire plugs from JC Whitney and they got the wires and it has been running great up to know. Here is another ? this happened after the battery went all the way down because the something was pressing the against the remote down all night I think that is what it was because I also had to replace those batteries too. I wonder if it could be something electrical. I didn't know you were going to answer my e-Mail so quick thanks again!

31,515

Split fire plugs may be the problem. I would use only NGK or Motorcraft on a DOHC 4.6. There are no plug wires, just Coil on Plugs. My 2004 Mercury Marauder has a very similar engine.