What is the grinding sound in the front end of my Grand Cherokee 2005?

40

Asked by Sep 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM about the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

It only makes the noise when I am turning. Mostly, it is from a stopped position in the
morning when it has cooled and sometimes as I am turning onto another road or street.
After driving it a little ways, it stops doing it. The dealer replaced bearings and axles
and did some other stuff and it cost me 750 bucks. The next morning it was doing the
same thing. I take it to the dealer and it doesn't make the sound while we drive it
around the lot. He says that he replaced the fluid and put an additive in the differential
and said that it would take a couple days to "settle in" and that it would improve. So, I
said that I would give it a little time to see if that is it. Well, this morning it was grinding
like crazy as I pulled out of my driveway and also at the Post Office when I pulled in
and as I pulled out. I will take it to the dealer again. I hope they will fix this thing. Any
ideas?

Power steering..fluid low or pump going bad ..and 'settling in' sounds like baloney to me

40

It is a heavy grinding noise. Like metal against metal. There is no indicator of power steering fluid being low. Would there not be some indicator light letting me know? Just curious. The "settling in" did seem to be baloney to me also. I will check out the power steering fluid though. Last time I checked it, it was okay. It has been a while though.Thanks for your input.

No, there is no warning light for P/S fluid on your Jeep Now, my Ford is a world of difference on the 4X4 drive, but it (mine) has manual locking hubs and if I unlock the hubs and even though the lock handle goes to 'free' sometimes the hub will not unlock and that makes a horrible grinding noise.

40

I checked the power steering fluid. It was fine.

OK, it would have been better if it was low, because that leads back to drive-Train. Man,. I'm stumped now. Somewhere in there, I would have said axles next but already done that

40

I took it back again and they said it might be in the differential. Then quoted me 1800 bucks. Then said that might not fix it. I just told them to give me the keys. I am certainly not going to fork out more money and then it not be fixed afterward. Initially when he told me he changed the fluid and put an additive in it he said that he looked at the differential and that it looked fine. Now it "may" be the problem? This is supposed to be a reputable dealership. I appreciate your input.