how to replace axle in 2005 grand cherokee laredo

Asked by Mar 17, 2015 at 11:43 PM about the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

5,165

Are you talking the rear axle? First you must know the final drive ratio ! For example 3.54 , 3.07, 3.73 if not sure take your VIN TO LOCAL DEALER in service dept ask someone if they can look it up for you! Both axles must match when your are in 4WD or you can destroy the transfer case/transmission a stock replacement is the easiest swap! Place the jeep on good solid jack stands on even surface! Remove the wheels, everything attached to the axle must be disconnected! Take pictures, write notes, make diagrams, keep track of where the bolts came out of take time to diagram pictures. Disconnect the driveshaft from the differential(axle) disconnect emergency brake, all lines, tubes, attached to the axle, shocks, etc. You will need to reattach all this good stuff to your replacement axle! Axle can be bought on Craigslist or local Junkyard, make sure you know the condition ! You dont want something your going to have to rebuild, otherwise you could just have your existing one rebuilt! This is a large undertaking! Make sure you have a good 1/2 inch drive set of tools, air would be better! Have all the torque specifications for all the bolts, nuts once you start to reassemble! I would spray all the nuts bolts with PB blaster or some other liquid to help rusty nuts & bolts the night before the project! Again the numerical ratio must match the existing axle! I cant stress it enough!

anyone that suggest you buying a decent car part off of Craigslist or a junk yard, should never be listened to. Check out jeepforum.com. There are expansive write ups on how to disassemble both front and rear assemblies to replace the parts you're trying to get to.

also, by your parts from rockauto.com. I've never had a problem with them, even when I ordered the wrong stuff. They are extremely helpful and by far the cheapest prices around.I have already replaced all of my axles with parts from them. I think they are about 50 or 55 dollars each. You will need four if you are going to do the whole truck. It doesn't take that long to do. I was able to do all 4 in about 6 hours.and because I had the whole thing apart, I replaced the wheel bearings as well. They were 35 dollars each I do believe.

5,165

Ben how do you know he can afford new parts? Obviously you havent seen a top end junkyard! Look up Daurios Auto Parts used out of Pueblo Colorado! These guys are upstanding honest and stabd behind everything they sell! Yes Rockauto does sell and support their products! But where is your productive input in putting in the axle? Referring someone to look it up is not directly supporting the person asking for help? Look again at the question it states: how to replace not how to repair or how to buy parts? Lets be positive and attempt to be constructive!