passanger windows and locks

315

Asked by Aug 22, 2013 at 06:52 PM about the 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

i have replaced bcm and fuze box master door switch .ohm all wires in driver door all good.windows will not work from driver door or locks but the passanger will unlock everything but the driver. door windows will not work on door switches HELP

79,205

Check the wiring going from the main body to the door. Remove the rubber boot from the driver's door jam and inspect the wires carefully. Over time these wires in that area are prone to wear and break from the normal opening and closing of the door. HTH. -Jim

315

I have already done this could it be the passenger door boot and wires

79,205

So the windows are completely dead and the lock on the driver's door only won't work? Just making sure I understand. Check for a bad relay for the windows. Check to make sure there's power at the driver's lock actuator. HTH. -Jim

315

no the windows will work on driver door side and the lock will work on driver door and door locks will work on passanger door but windows will not i have changed everything bcm door switch fuze box have not done anything on passanger door

79,205

I see. Then yes, check the wiring going to the passengers door. Might be a break there. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
315

well after all the time and money it was the passanger side door switch it was shorting out the windows i hooked the driver side door switch to that side the windows would roll up and down next time i will start from the bottom and work my way up lol

79,205

Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know and for the best answer click too. -Jim

740

I have a similar problem

740

none of my windows work from any of the switches and the drivers side door does not lock or unlock unless i do it manually. The electric locks work from the passenger side but not the drivers side. nothing on the whole driversside panel works. what is the most likely situation and can I fix it myself? thanks!

100

adam what was wrong with it i have the very same problem

40

Adam or bowtie what was wrong? I now have the same problem? Please help, or send answer to willmacky916@gmail.com Thanks in advance!

40

Adam Bowtie and WillMacky....Im having the EXACT same problem as well.... HELP!!!!!

10

I'm having the same issue as Adam and others described. Just started.

60

Why is there NOT a recall by jeep for this problem? My windows are stuck half way and door locks won't work same problem for many Grand Cherokee owners. I don't have the Big Bucks to have it fixed.How about a RECALL for this problem JEEP!

160

All my locks and windows worked great, until I had the regulator/window controller replaced in my drivers side back window. Now the doors can only be locked with the remote (except the drivers door) and the windows do not work. The main control on the drivers door was checked and replaced and all fuses where checked, still no change. Any ideas?

470

I have a similar problem. everything windows locks works on the drivers side nothing works on the passenger side. dome light is stuck on. and no power to Windows locks or mirror on the passenger side. do you have any ideas?

50

please did anybody find out what the problem was the same thing is happening to my 2009 caravan

420

On my Grand Cherokee Jeep my interior lights stay on too. I had to turn them off by turning off the dash lights. None of the windows will go down. And none of the door locks work. The driver's door lock will only lock or unlock with a key. the other doors will lock and unlock with a key. I'm so stressed over this----this all happened at one time.

80

I was experienceing all the same problems...only all my instruments on my Dashboard went dead...ex: gas guage, rpm, mph....Also every lighht on the dash board came on...ABS,checkengine, e-brake. Also my blower would work to my AC, but it would not blow cold air. I simply undid the battery terminal for a day and it helped almost everything. I need to clean the terminal also which also may help. Now my windows work randomly, it may be because the battery took a major drain, but everything else works great. I know there is still a problem somewhere....but I just need it to hold long enough to trade

220

My 2000 cherokee laredo also developed some of the same problems. Driver side door would only lock/unlock manually, and now its all doors. All four windows stopped working. Dome light, and dash lights stopped working. If I turn the switch all the way, for the dome lights, the dash will light up. Never had these issues, until a week ago. Drove to work one day fine, go to start it up, and it beeped for 10 minutes, and nothing worked since. Killed the battery, took that out to charge, and havnt had time to look at it since. Ideas?

110

I had the same problem only it always said my driver door was open i undid the battery it didn't really help i went to the store for my wife.Iwas out of my mind i wanted to run it into a brick wall.half hour went by i left the store.you wont believe me but i said on the way to the jeep.i can't take no more i give up god you can have it .i got the jeep everything worked fine iam still freaked out

200

Help im having the same problem!! 2 weeks ago all my doors stopped unlocking and my windows wont roll down also my lights all stay on in the truck now. Im expecting my first child dont know what to do or where to start!! 02 grand cherokee please can anyone help?! Email me clemanski1979@gmail.com the shops in Detroit are telling me thousands to fix it but dont know what it is!

270

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The doors lock and windows roll up and down just fine from the driver's side until I open the door, then nothing works. I'm trying to figure out what is making it short out when opening the driver's side door. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

80

Can we all just gang up and have jeep Chrysler who ever recal this is unexceptable I've had excessive amount of problems w this jeep gran Cherokee 2003 and I and done with it my jeep also is doing the same!

140

I am having the same problem....the power windows wouldnt work, lights wouldnt cut off inside, dash lights didnt work ect. Ect.....I took my 99 grand Cherokee to have it fixed and the shop had to fix wiring harness...... a month now after the fix windows wont work again and power door locks dont work on driver side but power door locks does work on passenger side but it doesnt lock or unlock driver side it must be done manually....WTH...... Chrysler and jeep really needs to have this as a recall and fix it since this seems to happen to everyone that has ever own a jeep.

140

Ps: any suggestions please let me know at jaime081471@gmail.com thanks

100

Last time I had this issue on a customers vehicle...... It was the ignition switch that was bad. Apparently dodge/Chrysler runs a 30 amp hot feed thru the switch for the blower motor , windows, cluster etc.... And they are all on the same line... Hints the reason why so much stops working. The switch after market should be like 24 or so dollars. But will restore all the components. The switch get the ign switch hot and it burns out. Best of luck!

270

Thar explains why my fan just quits blowing randomly. Thanks gopher0749

60

I am very frustrated as well. My 2008 Grand Cherokee has been a nightmare! In 2012 replaced the starter. Then in 2014 had to replace the key fobs after Performance Chrysler said it was an ignition problem. All during 2015, electrical issues again and they want another $800 plus repair. This is crazy - lights work-don't work, can't control dash lights, etc. . Now, dealing with 1997 Grand Cherokee driver's door will only unlock with key, but inside will manually lock. Three Windows partially open, will not operate manually. Passenger front - will go up and down manually and, three doors (minus driver's door) will lock manually or with key fob. Went in store working fine, came out - not working. Electrically system sucks in apparently, all years!

150

APPARENTLY the doors jam is the most common place for the wires to break and you just pull the rubber boot back and check there first! It's the easiest/quickest place to begin.

150

https://youtu.be/ZDpGOINdA6A

150

Hi my name is Porter, some of your problems will be fixed by going out to your vehicle unhook the battery, touch both cable ends (the poss. And the negative together) leave unhook for 10 to 15 minutes hook battery back up and watch your problem go away, I tried everything and someone told me to do that and my 2002 jeep has been working ever since. Please try it and let me know if it helped.

40

I have a 99 grand Cherokee,just had the same problem,no windows,locks and inside lights wouldn't go off.There was a broken black wire.Spliced a new wire in everything was fine after that

40

The wire was in the driver door rubber boot

60

I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee that the windows wouldn't lock or any windows roll down and interior light stayed on.... I found a broken wire in the rubber boot of driver door. I spliced it and taped it with electrical tape and it fixed the problem. Hope this helps!!

20

Does anyone know the COLOR of the power wire to the window control panel?? 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Thanks

20

I am having the same problem with m1999 Cherokee Sport. The driver can open and close the passenger and back windows, but not the driver window. Power locks "click" but do not work.

10

power or "hot wire" to the driver's master switch is brown with a blue stripe according to a tube video

10

we couldn't operate the passenger side widow or door locks change right side door switch and worked great ty. for help

10

ps.even from the drivers side also the hatch lock works

30

User Js08016 has the best answer. Best to check the wires in the drivers door to body boot first. You can disconnect the harness right at the door. Take the 4 bolts out of the hinges and 2 out of the door stop at the body. Remove the door w/ help. The boot will push back into the hole in the body where you can get to the wires easily. I soldered the hot black wire a year ago. This year it was the orange wire. I crimped a yellow connector in the black wire and a blue connector in the orange wire. Taped foam rubber around the wires and carefully slide boot back and lock back into body hole and plastic door grommet. Replace door and adjust. Drivers side worked but passenger didn't suspect the bad wires burned out the passenger side window control or it went on it's own. New one around $300, picked up junk yard one for $25. Everything works again. Bill

20

Check out Porter,His fix was on the Money,I Fixed a broken Black wire in the drivers side door jam,but still had funny electrical issues..Interior lights wouldn't go out,AC Clutch wasn't engaging and alrm wasn't working either,The ldoor locks worked fine thpugh,I Took the battery cables off,Touched pos to neg and hooked em back up in ten Minutes..It resets you're ECM..(Electrical Computer Modual..Everything is back to normal now..Thank You Porter.You saved me alot of Money!

I just bought a 99' WJ, I am having the same door problem among a few others that could all be linked to the same source. Along with the losing power to the driver door when it's opened, I have NO power when the key is switched to Accesory. It starts with no problem, just dead when the stereo should come on. Another problem, my electric fan (radiator) would never turn on, turns out the PCM is not sending any power back to the Relay Module to tell it to turn on. Since I can't drive the Jeep w/out the fan, I had wire in my own switch to over ride it and turn it on manually. I believe this could all be coming from a ground these all share. I did find some RAT TURDS in my glove box and its possible they found a nice wire to chew on. ((SMH))

All door controls on driver side stopped being effective, (windows, locks, etc. pushed boot back and exposed the black wire had broken into on drivers side. Managed to splice wire(tight working space) and all is back to normal now for my 2004 4.7L grand cherokee

10

I'm with Jamieson. The only thing common to all of these issues is ground. My remote control door lock and the passenger windows fail at the same time. I have the wiring service manual. I fear common grounds or grounds period are not well documented. When I push the passenger window switch on the driver door, I hear the relay click in the passenger door but no window motor. The relays must have a separate ground. But why would the passenger window motors and lock solenoids fail in conjunction with the key fob. And yet the panic button still works.

Insight: I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 4x4. I was having issues with the door locks and windows as well as a few other strange oddities that would happen from time to time. With the door locks, I had to have the driver door closed to the point that only my arm would fit enough to reach in and trigger the locks. Sometimes I had to toggle the switch back and forth. Every so often my dash lights would come on without the headlights or parking lights turned on and my information module overhead would have blanks or dash lines instead of the actual information. Removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes resolved that issue for a time and then it would return a couple of weeks later. Things went on like this for a while as I just didn't have the determination to get into serious TS over the issues. However, in the last few weeks or so I started getting an intermittent stalling and that eventually turned into an intermittent immobilizer initiated problem. The jeep would run fine and then after driving for a while and shutting it off and then trying to re-start it the immobilizer light would stay on in the dash cluster. If I let it sit over night it would crank fine the next morning. I decided to dig into the issues and discovered that I actually had four broken and completely separated wires in the driver door that were intermittently making contact every now and then. It was tough to disconnect the wire harness connector in the door side and push the wires and protective boot in through the vehicle side under the dash, but that's what I had to do to have enough room to properly splice the wires back together with heat shrink butt connectors. Unfortunately, while my windows and locks worked from the driver window control, I still had the intermittent immobilizer issue. Longer story shortened, I had a bad PCM that was not properly communicating with some of the other modules around the Jeep. I purchased a used PCM, Ignition cylinder w/ key and an immobilizer all as a set from ebay for $135.00. Once I installed everything the Jeep started up just fine and everything works as it should and has been doing so for over a month now with no incidents whatsoever. From what I understand, the door wires break often and it can lead to shorting/grounding other modules or components. Apparently the PCMs are notoriously of poor longevity as well. I hope this insight can help some one else figure out their problem.

OMG, my windows would not work, door locks and mirrors did. I had power going in and out. AC stopped working and dash lights were on even without the switch on. I tried everything as listed in previous posts. I unhooked the battery like suggested and guess what. It worked thank you all