power steering

Asked by Feb 01, 2009 at 08:38 AM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

power steering pump runs in to cooling fan. can fan be bypassed and put electric fan on and power steering still work. power steering pump works fan. dumb set up if module goes bad it cost a fortune to replace

1,385

I worked at a Jeep dealer for 3+ years, never replaced a hydraulic cooling fan. I HAVE replaced the hose between the PS pump and the fan (the hoses sometimes leak) but the fan itself has proven to be very reliable. Has your fan module failed, or are you looking to the future? If you have not experienced a failure, I would not worry too much about it. I have seen Jeeps with 150,000+ miles and no leaks at the hydraulic fan. If you MUST eliminate the fan, you could get the PS hoses for a model with no hydraulic fan (I am fairly sure about this, but not 100%, I have honestly never paid attention to which Jeeps have the hydraulic fan and which ones don't) You would then need an aftermarket electric fan and fan controller. Make sure you get a controller that has the ability to incorporate the air conditioning, since the cooling fan needs to run when the A/C is on. Realistically, a fan large enough to cool a 4.7 liter v8 will run you at least $100. Add in the cost of the controller, the new ps hose, and the installation time, and you probably will not save any money at all. The hydraulic fan is a good system, and I would leave it alone if it were my car.

seth the fan module has failed. hard to find and about 900.00 my cost plus replacement labor

1,385

I suppose it is hard to find because they fail so rarely. I might even consider trying the salvage yards in your area to see if they have any. It sucks that the fan is so expensive, but I still think you are better off in the long run with the hydraulic fan versus the electric fan.

seth thanks for the help, I found one at a dealer, just going to fix it the right way thank you

10

$1,300.00 is what the dealer quoted me for just the hydraulic fan assembly without hoses... they want to charge $150.00 just to check it ...unfortunately for me it has cost over $500.00 to replace water pump, radiator, power steering alone....I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with a tow package.... I can't afford what I've put in it today much less if I have to buy a module & relay

Having same issues. In my research so far it can be switched to electric safely but have to use older model power steering pump as flow regulator is built into the hydraulic fan not in the PS pump as older models. If just changed the PS pump will last day or two without the regulator it seems. I agree though as can't find hydraulic fan at least with any warranty for less than $900! It may work well until it stops but can't just buy selinoid for it anymore either which was what I was going to try. I have all parts need on my 99 Cherokee with 4.7 as motor is gone in it.