Engine dies and won't start back up - seems like engine is froze

Asked by Sep 03, 2015 at 03:48 AM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

Driving around 50 mph slowed down to about 25 while approaching light -
gave it gas and engine died - now engine won't even turn over - acts like it is
froze up. Checked battery terminals and battery all seem fine

85

SOUNDS LIKE ALTERNATOR DIED IF YOU RIGHT AWAY LOST POWER. WHEN THE CAR CUT OFF, DID YOUR DASH LIGHTS AND RADIO STAY ON? IF YE, ABOUT HOW LONG. PLZ TELL ME SO I CAN FURTHER ASSIST YOU.

85

NOT SAYING ITS THE ALTERNATOR, YOU CAN NEVER GUESS, BUT IF YOU TELL ME WHAT HAPEND PRIOR TO INCIDENT (WHEN IT CUT OFF) WEATHER CONDITION (HOT? RAINING?) IT WOULD BE ALTERNATOR OR BATTERY OR TERMINALS IF YOU LOST POWER RIGHT AWAY OR ALMOST IMIDIATLY. I WORKED ON MANY, THEY HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AND A SHITLOAD OF OTHER RECALS. THE EXPLODE IF HIT IN THE BACK, SO INSTEAD OF FIXIN IT WHEN THEY TRYED TO PUT A RECAL ON GASTANK, JEEP/CHRYSLER SEND EVERYONE FREE TOW HITCH FOR BACK WHICH IS STILL NOT A FIX, BUT SUPRISINGLY THEY GOT AWAY WITH NOT FIXING. MAKE SURE THERE IS A HITCH BECAUSE IF YOU GOOGLE GAS TANK PROBLEMS YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE ARE DYING IN JEEP G.C. AND LIBERTY EXPLOSIONS AT LOW SPEED REAR END AND WITH HITCHES AT HIGH SPEED REAR END. ALSO ITS ONE OF THE WORST CARS THAT BREAK . FROM 2000-2010 THE 2011 IS EVEN WORSE, THEY FIXED GAS TANK BUT NOW THE ELECTRONIC ECU AND TRANSMISSION ARE BREAKING AT VERY LOW MILES. 12 AND 15 JEEP IS OK AND BEFORE 99 IS OK, THE 13 AND 14 YEARS ARE HAVING PARKING BRAKE RECALLS WHERE CAR ROLLS AWAY IN PARK. I HATE ELECTRONIC PARK SHIFTERS. ESPECIALLY ON BMW. I OWN A LAST GEN OF REGULAR SHIFTNOB BMW, BEFORE THE STUPID ELECTRONIC PARKBRAKE SHIT

85

I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ASSIST YOU IN DIAGNOSING OR FIXING IT NOW< BUT WEATHER YOU GET IT RUNNING OR NOT JUST SELL IT ITS LIKE A PLAGUE

85

EARLY SIGNS OF TRANSMISSION FAILURE IS SMELL , WHINING SOUND SIMILAR TO FAN OR BELT PROBLEMS. LATE SHIFTS CAN BE SOLENOIDS IN TRANNY, HARD JERK WHEN PUTING IN DRIVE OR REVERSE MIGHT BE TRANS. MOUNTS. BUT WHEN DRIVING IN MOST CASES YOU WILL FEEL A VIOLENT VIBRATION FOR A FEW SECONDS RIGHT BEFORE THE SHUT OF.. TRANSMISSION FAIL WILL NOT LET YOU START OR KEEP RUNNING , DEPENDING ON WHAT IN TRANS. IS BAD. HOW WERE YOUR HEAT AND BATTERY LEVELS BEFORE AND NOW? DO YOU HAVE A BATTERY BOOSTER PACK?

85

WITH CAR OFF FOR 45 MIN-HOUR, CHECK OIL(TAKE OUT DIPSTICK CAR OFF) WIPE OIL OF VERY GOOD, AND PUT DIPSTICK BACK IN. THEN TAKE IT OUT FOR A SECONF TIME TO SEE THE LEVEL OF ENGINE OIL. DO NOT OVERFILL CAR MUST STAY OFF FOR SOME TIME FOR ALL OIL TO DRAIN DOWN. WHEM TURNING ON ,WAIT FOR OIL TO CIRCULATE, DO NOT HIT GAS HARD OR DAMAGE MIGHT OCCUR TO ENGINE GEARS OR CYLINDERS OR LIFTERS DUE TO NO LUBRICATION. CHECK ENGINE OIL CAP FOR ABUSE, LOOK INSIDE ENGINE , DOES IT LOOK LIKE ALUMINUM? OR YELLOW OR BLACK? IS THERE A THICK LAYER OF SHIT ON OIL CAP? IF NO OIL AT ALL , CHECK OIL PAN, IF ITS LEAKING AND THATS THE ISSUE, WATHCH OUT FOR METAL SHAVINGS IN OILPAN , THEN YOU WENT TOO LONG WITHOUT OIL OR STARTED PUSHING IT HARD WITH LOW OR UNCIRCULATED OIL. REMEMBER COOLANT NEEDS TO CIRCULATE TO AND YOUR THERMOSTAT OPENS AT 110 DEGREES, SO TURNING ON YOU GOTTA LET IT RUN FOR A FEW MIN, ESPECIALLY WHEN COLD , EVERYTHING GETS COMPRESED AND TRANSMISSION WILL JERK. THATS NORMAL. THAT WHY WE WARM UP AND SHIFT GEARS AFTER A FEW MIN TO WARM UP TRANSMISSION

85

TO CHECK TRANSMISSION FLUID, TURN THE CAR ON AND CHECK DIP STICK THE SAME WAY ,TAKE OUT, CLEAN DIPSTICK GOOD WITH CLEAN TOWEL AND DIP IT ALL THE WAY IN TO TAKE OUT AND SEE LEVEL. DO NOT OVERFILL AND MAKE SURE YOURE LOOKING AT THE RIGHT LEVEL WITH HOT TRANS. LEVEL AND COLD TRANS LEVEL. IN MOST CARS YOU CANNOT FILL TRANS OIL THROUGH DIPSTICK , THERE IS ACCESS ON TOP OR BOTTOM OF TRANS. GM IS MOSTLY EASY TO ACCES ON TOP. GERMAN CARS NEED TO BE ACCECED FROM BOTTOM WITH A OIL PUMP OF ANY KIND AND A HOSE

85

WHEN CAR IS COLD MAKE SURE TO PUT COOLANT IN BOTH RADIATOR AND TANK , IF OVERFILLED IT WILL DRAIN ITSELF IN MOST CARS. BUT KEEP ALL YOUR FLUID LEVELS SPECIFIED AND USE A TOWEL WHEN OPENING RADIATOR. MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PRESSURE IN LOWER AND UPPER RADIATOR BY SQUEZZING UPPER AND LOWER RAD HOSES

85

AND TELL ME IF IT LOOKS DRY UNDER OIL CAP (CAR OFF ONLY) IS IT DRY? DO YOU SMELL OIL OR BURNT? CHECK COOLANT COLOR TO SEE IF YOUR MIXING ANTIFREEZE WITH OIL DUE TO GASKETS

Can you analyze my problem?