jeep lift advice

1,375

Asked by Feb 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

this question is for people with experience and professional opinions.

I have a 99 wj laredo with the 4.0l I6 and selectrac 4wd.

i would like to lift it 3-4"

Im unsure of what lift to purchase. I have seen 3 and 4 inch kits from $500-$2500.  I would like to keep the ride quality as close to stock as I can.  I believe Iron Rock Offroad has 2 4" kits. a $750 and a $1400.

the $750 kit has everything you need for a 4"  lift including transfer case drop.
the more expensive also comes with everything plus replacement long arms. (i assume for better articulation)

I am a pretty laid back offroader, lots of trails and i love the sand dunes. mudding and rock crawling just seem a little too much for my daily driver if you know what i mean.

I would like to purchase the long arm kit simply because it seems like it would perform better.  Would i be wasting my money on the more expensive kit?

535

well there's two reasons to go with long arms when lifting your rig... First and probably the biggest reason for most is articulation for offroading.. Second is ride quality... with long arms you will have a smooooother ride on the road and more stability.. if you stay with short arms every bump will fill like your hitting a curb.. you don't want your control arms to be going vertical you want them to be more horizontal to the ground. This will help with stability and lessen your chance of having horrible bump-steer which WJ's are prone to.. My other piece of advice if you are looking for stock / stable ride is to get a 4 link rear end and eliminate the Y link upper rear Control arm and spacer method.. I did and my jeep is completely stable in the rear even. So stable that i removed the rear sway bar and couldn't tell a difference.. here's a pic of my 4 link

1,375

this is the lift that i will most likely get. it says it comes with everything needed. but i dont see anything about a 4 link rear end. (or is it the adjustable track bar?) http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-W4CPK and thank you so much for your help. :)

535

that is a pretty basic lift.. you are only getting longer front control arms.. you are keeping the short ones in the rear and just a spacer for the rear upper A-arm.. there is no rear track bar on WJ's.. having short arms in the rear isn't as big of an issue as the front so you will most likely be content with this lift. If you happen to tow anything with your grand and you feel wobbly in the back after the lift i would suggest looking into the rear 4 link. Mine is Rockkrawler.com's and Clayton offroad offers a great one also.. you can find their lifts on Kevinsoffroad.com

5

I have a 2" back country lift on my 04 laredo i paid 265 and some change from trails west and i love it

1,375

i have long since decided on my lift. ive got 2" BDS coils with rancho rs5000 shocks and zone sway bar links. im slowly collecting parts for my own custom 4" long arm lift. mostly IRO parts.