Jeep will not turn over and keeps stalling the few times I get it to run.

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo and I have been having some issues with it. I noticed about a week ago that it would start to shudder and eventually stall whenever I would come to a stop. I took it to a shop near to where I live and they replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor, saying that would fix the issue. The day after I picked it up, the truck stalled in the middle of traffic and I could not get it to start again. When turning the key, you can hear the engine try to start, but it would not fully turn. Every now and then I managed to get it to start, but within a minute or two it would stall again. I have heard from other people I know who have jeeps that this could be either a clogged fuel filter, broken O2 sensor, or a short in the computer. Any other ideas? I would prefer not to take this to another shop. I am a small female and tend to get screwed anywhere I go because they think that I dont know what I am doing and will just believe whatever they tell me. I would rather be at least slightly informed.

675

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/12-things-you-can- do-when-your-zj-stalls-1407423/ if you have the ability to go through the list, i would start with the cleaning of the idle air control unit(iac) since it stalls when at a stop. if it didn't have problems starting before hand, you might have got a bad crank shaft sensor. cleaning the iac is easy all you need to do is disconnect the battery, remove two screws that hold the iac on the throttle body(they are torx) and clean it with some throttle body and iac cleaner(about $4 at any local auto place) and some people use a toothbrush. let it dry and reverse. any more questions i would HIGHLY recomend searching on the website i linked.

45

These jeeps have a bad PCM problem when you get the jeep running tap on the PCM and see if the truck cuts off or tries to if it does you will need to replace the PCM

I had trouble with a 2000 jeep cherokee sport stalling after it was warm, my battery was bad but would still start the jeep.i replaced the battery with a new one and cleaned the connections so far no problems.I know this sounds stupid but have your battery load tested if it dont test good replace it.