Truck decides when it want to start

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 10:33 PM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Very frequently my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo doesn't want to start, it's not the
starter from what I know because it try's to turn over but just doesn't want to fire up.on the
same note I'll come back and try and start it 10 minutes later and it fires right up and runs
fine. It sounds like a choke problem but it's fuel injected. I'm under the impression it's the
computer. Any thoughts?

58,285

Check the fuel pressure regulator.

Will do.thnx

6,960

He's going to find a plethora of info to verify, we removed those fuel rails and replaced those pumps, a 96 has no regulator in use. Rather, it has a pump in the tank with valves that cause it to supply and disallow return. the pressure is 49 +/- 2. theres a bulletin. Then, in the aftermarket, federal mogul recalled that pump.

6,960

The age of his system means he may be treading into brittle plastic fuel lines and connections. He should first measure fuel pressure and carefully measure volume, then monitor and gauge rest pressure. If it's not a fuel problem, he can eliminate that leaving the gauge hooked inline till it acts up.

6,960

If he loses spark, that's easy enough to check............If he loses injector signal, that can be verified with a test light. If it is going brain dead, he may have that trouble, if his timing chain is baggy he can mark and measure that with some wrenches and touch-up paint. If the vehicle is antitheft equipped, the alarm function is said to be got around using the passenger doorlock. He should really be at his jeep dealer.................Losing computer memory or function has service bulletins, so does CKP (crankshaft) sensor and CAM sensor. If all his sensors are old he should replace them All. use CROWN automotive parts and do a whole refit. The intermittant no start or cranks but wont start is the most repeating nut driving cluster ever clustered by jeep. Seek professional help. Or, research, research, research. Run the tests dont replace parts till you know they are the cause, sensor updates with service bulletin backing make sense. Get the updated part numbers. Loose fitting connections like socks on a rooster will be notable throughout the system.........Use the CROWN automotive parts for all your ignition parts too. you can find an online source and update. There is one guy on U tube who has his own design change for fuel delivery. it does not require removal of tank or pump if you know yours is recent and you trust it. that's your choice.

6,960

Crap in your tank, filter, and injectors may exist, you can learn how to clean it using u tube videos as well. professional help is smarter and the DRB III scan tool is available with dealer service.

6,960

Your pump requires a removal tool. it is possible to make or buy one. There wont be a regulator in there unless it's a 97

Thnx for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm gonna have to see if the Chrysler dealership knows what's up. I have to get my tank guard installed anyway

40

open hood then go put key in ignition and put to start do not try to start yet....listen and try to hear if its injecting gas to motor if not leave in start position for a minute or so sometimes longer if all of a sudden it injects gas to the motor then u can start the gc....its the capacitors in the ecm easy fix just take old ones out put new ones in if it is the capacitors when u refill the spaces on the ecm do not use water based silicon

6,960

A known good processor can be found from a wrecking yard. $110 was the last one I found, price, shipped. Knowing your correct processor numbers that are for your gc options helps you get the correct processor. "rebuilt" ones may or may not actually have been internally repaired. AutoZone offers the same part called "lifetime" for three times that price. If you do not do miniaturized electronic repairs on the bench, this is where you will find yourself in the processor game. But all the supporting systems need to be brought up to date on your vehicle, TSB's need consideration, and aftermarket brands for parts can be good or no good right out of the box. I proved these things one by one for an illiterate person once who kept going to anyone and everyone for guess answers, as I showed him step by step what the service manual updates and TSB's and recalls demanded from the diagnosis. 5 or 6 causes were proved for intermittent no-start. Each was eliminated. The vehicle was like someone had taken every problem and put them all on his vehicle as they repaired another. Needless to say, we had nearly every problem, and erraticated them all. Base engine timing 30 degrees off- to- fuel, vacuum, basic electrical, wiggle testing, and part issues, before the original "from the hip" diagnosis of processor and broken ignition coil were also proved. When a vehicle is a factory no-start ? as these were, during the change over to Mopar, The bulletins and recalls must be read, and performed, for safety, updates, and reliability. Then consider harness issues and their inspections, coolant leak from rapid water pump failure, resulting connector saturation, etc. This is why even the dealer needs so many diagnostic hours, and corrections for any one unit. The u-pull-it yards are filled with them. The fuel tank is not well protected, and you can read about that at NHTSA website. It's a car you have to love. or you redesign, update, and correct constantly. Happy jeepin.