No one can figure out 95 jeep grand cherokee problem

Asked by Jun 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

i have a 95 jeep grand cherokee limited with a 5.2L V-8 and for about 8 months i have been having the problem of where after driving for about 10 miles my jeep will start jerking and the RPMs go low and the jeep like shakes then it takes off and drives normal for a few seconds then does it again... i have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, tps, iac, fuel filter, tested fuel pressure while normal and while it is acting up and it has constant pressure of 42 PSI, tested map sensor, both crank and cam sensors, removed and cleaned the ecm and  pcm and still have not fixed this problem oh also occasionally my display on the message center goes out and everytime when i first start it and put my foot on the brake it shows that the tail lights are out and have checked them and they all work properly even when brakes are applied.. what is wrong?????????

Check ecm connections ecm may need flashed see your jeep dealer

92,815

Any trouble codes in memory? Have you checked the sync generator in the distributor?

7,565

be sure all the bulbs are correct and they are ALL working. the sys. looks at resistance of the bulbs.center brake lamp bulbs are 921. tryunplugging egr valve and see what happens. rear of eng. pass.side

20

I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. Just bought it off a car lot (know the person but they don't service the enginges too well). I have only had this since February 20th & I have ran into all sorts of chaos. My speedometer doesn't work (can't tell how fast ur going) milage doesn't work. Needs a tune up. Message board cuts on & off when it wants to. Says rear lamp failure. Then said lo part time and full time. Whatever that may be. My husband bought me this vehicle thinking that it would be a good car for me. I like it. But I'm finding myself everytime behind the wheel in a panic attack. My heart races and I wonder if I'm gonna be stranded on the side of the road with two kids. It's a big headache. It's costing more to fix it than I actually paid for it. The sensor is jimmy rigged. Not even connected right. So I have been told that that part will have to come from the dealer. When I back up...it sounds like I am dragging something. But when I stop there's nothing there. I don't know much about cars. But this is ridiculous!!

7,565

If it will set your mind at ease, you can disconnect the message center. remove screws (4) then remove trim piece. Then the screws that hold message center. unplug and reassemble. Odds are that the speed sensor is bad. This controls the speedo. It is located in the rear of the transfercase. To test it, remove the 10mm bolt, twist the sensor as you pull it out. Have someone in vehc. with key on and other person spin the little metal shaft on sensor. if speedo doesnt move sensors bad. When you replace it, you have to replace the connector as well. They changed the connector in 96, so you have to update it as well. If speedo does move, then you need to remove the housing that the sensor goes in. If gear is ok, there is a number on the gear(31) example....If you look closely at the housing, there will be spots with numbers on it. (18-24) example.... find the one that your number on gear falls into, and align it with the dot on transfercase. If vehc is a 2wd, the dot will be on transmission. The housing is offset to allow for different size gears. Im sorry I cant tell you abt. noise backing up, as Im not there. Is it from rear of vehc? Hope this helps. Oh I know that message center dinging gets old...lol

7,565

last post was to Dezarae

10

Sounds like the fuel pump is going bad. Had the same problem with my 95 Grand Cherokee and i fixed it by changing the fuel pump.

I had the same problem with the same year and model vehicle. I stumbled upon the solution. Change the ignition module. after I did this all these problems when away!

10

The tail light issue is usually because the third brake light has a bulb out and because there is three right next to each other it appears to be fine