1995 jeep laredo idling ruff in gear

Asked by Jun 22, 2008 at 08:55 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

i have a 1995 jeep laredo that when idleing in park or nutral, doesn't shake or rattle but when you put it in drive and have your foot on the break sitting still  its like ir drains the engine and the rpm go to below 5oo. just idleing in nutral the rpm is at 600 but doesn't shake. trans is about 3 years old but i was told there is a ring in the overdrive unit tht is bad and its not allowing me to go into overdrive when im  driving. everything else works great , no problem with 1,2,3 gears . i have had a diagnostic test and it was good but they couldn't tell me why the ingine was doing that... please help its very annoying to come to a stop and the jeep feels like its going to rattle apart right at the light... once the accellerator is press all gose away until stop again..

sounds like the throttle position sencer is bad.

6,585

these are notorious for bad eng. mounts. left foot on brake, put into drive and press gas pedal w/rt.foot. if eng. rares up then kinda thuds when you let off gas, mount is bad. you can sometimes see the damaged rubber inside the mount. Ive had alot of customers think it needed a tune up, but only mounts. Now if you also dont have overdrive, yes there is a snap ring that breaks. This can be fixed by removing the overdrive unit from trans. It will need to be done by someone w/expereance with this trans, as there are special tools to align the overrun clutch and compress a 800 lb spring. I see this is an old post, mabey you have already fixed.......

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. DID A COMPLETE TUNEUP WITH NO CHANGE. IT WS A BAD MOUNT. GET A FRIEND TO PUT FOOT ON BRAKE AND GIVE IT A LITTLE THROTTLE AND WATCH THE ENGINE TO SET IF IT LIFTS UP ON ONE SIDE. MY PASSENGER SIDE MOUNT WAS TOTALLY SHOT. SINCE IT WAS SO BAD I REPLACED BOTH MOUNTS JUST IN CASE THE DRIVERS SIDE WAS FRACTURED. MOUNTS COST UNDER $100.00 WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY AT AUTOZONE