My Grand Cherokee 1995 V6 is overheating with nee engine.

Asked by Aug 20, 2012 at 03:51 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

The engine got fixed 3 months ago. Since then the temp is getting higher. I took to the Agency and they
changed the radiator, thermostat, temp sensor, water pump, upper water tube, fan and fan clutch, and still
it overheats. Not even running it goes down. Turning the AC is just matter of minutes and it gets almost to
the red spot. Curious fact... THE WATER NEVER BOILS!!! They have run a complete computer diagnostic and
it doesn't show anything wrong besides the left backlight. Any ideas? Thanks

You may have a bad gauge. Mechanics need to put an independent thermometer in the cooling system, see what the temperature really is. Might also be a bad thermostat they installed. Sounds like you have replaced virtually all of the cooling system already.

Hi Randy... Thanks for the quick response. Actually it has a brand new gauge and yes... virtually I replaced all the cooling system and still they can't find what's the problem. I'll try to find that independent thermostat and see the real temp. Otherwise it can be the computer or the instrument panel is reading well. Any other ideas? Thank you very much!

OK, since you have replaced everything, and you say the "water doesn't boil", is it actually overheating? What is making you think it is overheating? It may be a problem with the sender or the wiring between the sender and the gauge, I would look for an intermittent or bad ground connection. I use a meat thermometer stuck in the radiator fins to check temps...

In fact yesterday I bought a Thermocap ( you-have-a-thermocap/) and in deed the coolant wasn't boiling coz' it was not overheated... so you were right, the gauge is not working well. I'm gonna ask the mechanic why he didn't make this test before I bought all the stuff... Thanks a lot Randy!!! you Rock!