thumping while in 4WD

Asked by Feb 13, 2010 at 07:27 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I bought a 94' jeep grand Cherokee two years ago.. previous owner had the front drive shaft pulled.. recently have gotten alot of snow and decided to install the shaft.. vehicles drove fine with no noises prior to installing the shaft... after putting it on.. there is a thumping sound coming from the front end when in 4x4 only.. there is no play in the shaft coming out of the front differential, so i am not sure if it is the pinon, CV, axles, bearings, etc..I checked the front diff for fluids.. I pulled one of the rotors and the bearings looked OK.. before starting to pull axles and opening up the differential is there anyone out there with any advice to this.. thanks

i had a chevy that some one did the same thing to put the shaft back in and it started making noise ended up being the transfer case the chain started to break and every time it went around a few of the links were hitting the casing