ENGINE WON'T START

70

Asked by Oct 18, 2015 at 09:45 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS

I drove through a deep puddle of water, my engine stopped...would not start again.  Battery good, starter good. I tried turning the engine over by hand and found that it would not go the full 360 degrees, I hear a metallic thud at the end of the travel. and it will turn no more.  Timing belt good.
The water was not high enough to come into the car.
What could have happened and was it caused by the water???

59,115

Is there water in the air cleaner box? If so, water got pulled into the engine and it's hydrostaticly locked. Remove all the spark plugs and try turning it over again. If water is in any of the cylinders it will come out of the spark plug holes. If it still won't turn over there's mechanical damage that needs to be investigated. HTH. -Jim

146,465

Yes, likely caused by (cold) water on hot engine. I suspect a cracked head or block, from water, it doesn't take much to crack a head with the sudden reduction in temperature, The no-start would have eventually 'cured' it's self when it dried, but I am thinking hydro-locked from cracked head or block. Coolant in cylinder. I really hate to be so negative ... just when I read your question that is what popped in to my (feeble) mind. But water on a hot , and by hot I mean normal operating temperature can cause a plethora of problems. Best of luck Al

146,465

We were typing at the same time Jim. yup I am that slow but we are close in diagnosis

70

The water was not high enough to cover the engine, it did not enter the car and I believe that only the lower part of the engine (base pan) could have passed through the water....