rear window door won`t unlock onleft side

Asked by Apr 07, 2008 at 04:14 PM about the 2000 GMC Safari Cargo 3 Dr SL Cargo Van Extended

won`T RELEASE ON TOP LELT SIDE

43,965

Sounds like a problem with the latch assembly.

90

That wasn't very helpful. Yours was the only post in 3 years. It's got to be a more common problem. I searcehd for an answer before diving in on my own. If you are getting one side to release and not the other it's very likely that the rod that operates the left latch has popped out of the lever. The actuator is probably OK since one side releases. Climb in the back seat, pull any screws that you see from the trim around the window. Next you'll need to remove small trim covers from the pull down handle at the center of the window to expose the bolts that hold this in place. Remove them and take the handle and trim pieces off. You should now be able to see the lever that your release actuator moves when either the button on the dash is pushed or the key (from the outside) is turned. There should be two rods connected to this lever. They have a 90 degree bend at the end and are pressed into a plastic bushing on the lever. If one has come loose you should be able to manually (with pliers, screw driver or even by hand) pull the disconnected one towards the center of the vehicle. This should release the side with the problem. The other should still release with the key/button. With the window up you can now remove any other screws you see from the trim panel. I only removed the ones on the end and left the top of the pannel connected. There is a steel bar that the pull handlw was connected to that can be removed for easier access to the mechanism. You may get away with just reattaching the rod into the existing plastic sleeve or try to find a dealer that has a replacement. I re-inserted mine into the existing one. I think it popped out because the windwow was slammed hard too many times (because of trouble opening the bottom doors). I then used a couple of small cable zip ties to help secure it in place even though it seemed to be a snug fit. Could have also used a bit of wire for this but just make sure that whatever you use doesn't have a chance to get caught in the pivot area of the lever. Test it before reassembling. Put it back together and you shold be good to go. Before you button it all up though, with the window up, spray a good lubricant into the latch mechanisms on the sides of the window. While you're at it go ahead and lube the door handle mechanisms on the bottom doors as well. This could save you more trouble down the road.