1991 Dodge Ram 150 Odometer stopped working

390

Asked by Aug 30, 2011 at 08:49 PM about the 1991 Dodge RAM 150 2 Dr LE Extended Cab LB

1991 Dodge Ram 150 Le Extended cab

Ok so my odometer does not work/count miles. It is stuck on 42k and doesn't move. There are some cables that are disconnected under the hood in the right side of the engine bay near the brake fluid container. Do any of these wires/cables need to be connected in order for the odometer to operate? And if this isn't my problem, then what do you think is keeping the odometer from working? Please give me any and all the information that you can. Also the speedometer and everything else in the dash works- just not the odometer. Thanks.

-James

390

These are a few pictures of the disconnected cables.

390

2nd disconnected cables pictures

390

3rd disconnected cables picture

35

thay are all there for a resson if the truck came with theam try to hook theam up the plugs only will fit a certin socket try that than if that dont fix it dose the odometer make nosie ? if it dose that cable is bad

12,575

your odometer is run off of the speed gear on the truck, (the thing that measures speed for your speedometer) my guess is, is that the small gears on the actual odometer its self are broken, since its an analog dash plugging those wires in prolly wont do any thing, and my guess is since their unplugged the accesories they control prolly arent installed in the truck...... thats just my two cents on the situation

Best Answer Mark helpful
220

You didn't mention the speedometer so I'm assuming it's working Your odometer is electronic so the first thing to do is check the #12 fuse to make sure it hasn't blown. If it's not the fuse then the plastic gears running off the cable are probably broken or just worn off. They can be replaced by removing the cluster panel but they're not cheap.