To reset the computer after replacing the throttle position sensor, do I take the positive or negative battery cable off the battery for 5 minutes.. I have heard both but only done the positive one. C

5

Asked by Jun 30, 2015 at 05:04 PM about the 1998 Ford Windstar Cargo 3 Dr STD Cargo Van

I have replaced the unit 2 times and writing once and the light won't go off and the code is always the same

237,255

What is the code? You can use a code scanner to clear the code or remove the negative battery cable for 15mins. Does it go off and come back on? If so, then it's something else and not the TPS. Did you clean the throttle body and IAC or carbon while you were around there?

Tom is spot on with his answer, but just to add when you remove a battery cable it doesn't matter which one. Same result, power is disconnected. But Black --Neg post is better. Why he said Neg? If your wrench is on the positive terminal and it accidentally touches anything metal, you will short circuit the battery. The sudden unexpected sparks could even ignite, car batteries emit hydrogen (Think Hindenburg) and could even burn you. There is so much current (amperage) available that your wrench literally becomes an arc welder

5

I did not clean the throttle body or IAC and how do I clean the carbon there?

5

and the code is still 1120. This is making it so I can't pass emissions.

237,255

check youtube on how to clean, you have to remove the inlet hose and the IAC itself, and get some throttle body cleaner.

237,255

http://engine-codes.com/p1120_ford.html

10

i change the body throttle sensor and took it to the dodge to program it. it turn on okay but i still don't have control over the accelerator and the symbol is still on the dash board what can i do please help