2005 Ford Taurus 24V DOHC

Asked by Jul 27, 2017 at 04:16 PM about the 2005 Ford Taurus SEL

My check engine light is blinking
running very rough feels like it's
missing We have replaced the plugs
the boots and all of the coil packs as
well as disconnected the battery
while doing so and reconnected it.
Before we replaced that stuff it was
blinking continuously now that we
have replaced it it blinks goes off
and then it'll come back on and blink
again what could be causing this
and where should I start for repairs

3,250

Blinking indicates that you are in grave danger of ruining your catalytic converter(s). I would not drive it until solved because these converters are expensive. Pull codes with an OBD II code reader and start your diagnostics from these codes. Google and YouTube for help once you have codes

Okay another question before we replaced all of that I was driving to Town the check engine light starts blinking stayed on constantly so I had to drive it back home I live down a dirt road 13 miles to my Ranch we replaced all of that I drove it down the road no check engine light was blinking I getting it today I make it approximately 5 miles up the road and it goes to blinking it goes off and goes to blinking again could that mean that my catalytic converter is already bad in it

3,250

Not sure without a inlet and outlet temperature test of your converters. I think the issue causing the code is happening intermittently. Check codes like I posted earlier and go from there. Sounds like the issue is causing so much fuel to be dumped in your cylinders that unburned fuel is getting into your converters. I am guessing you are noticing a significant fuel usage? Smell unburned fuel? Fuel injectors leaking extra fuel? Large air/vacuum leak causing pcm to dump extra fuel? All you O2 and air/fuel sensors bad for a while? Basically was your check engine light on solid for a long time without fixing it before it started blinking? Every mechanic starts with pulling codes. This is your diagnostic map for today's cars.

Yes the checeearest town is 1k engie light was on when i got the car. I have no history on the car for I bought it used from family that bough it to flip it. So i guess i shouldnt drive it? I live on a ranch and the nearest town is 18 miles, so should i put it on a trailer to take it to have the codes pulled? When I parked it the light wasnt on but had been?

It is using a lot of fuel, exhaust smells kinda strong but doesnt smell like gas.

3,250

If you are mechanical you can order these code readers on eBay and amazon for as little as $10 and they are reputable brands. I have several and keep them in each car. Autel MS300. If this was my car I would not drive it until I pulled codes and fixed it. Catalytic converters can cost thousands to replace.

Ok thank you so much for all your help. I think I will just trailer it and take it to AutoZone and have the codes read. Thank you again for your time. :) Have a blessed day.

Real quick, is it possible it could be my O2 SENSOR?

3,250

Absolutely! I believe you have 2 O2 sensors and 2 air fuel sensors on your car. A dealer will rob you blind installing these. I find the identical parts (motor craft) online for generally $25-$50 each and Install them myself or for friends/family and church members. Free that is....my labor for them. A dealer would charge about $1000 - $1400 to change all of these. These parts are critical on today's computerized engines because they tell the computer how the engine is running based on many physical and atmospherical values and ranges. Then the computer changes inputs such as gas and air flow to make the engine run efficiently with the least amount of ozone ripping fumes out the tailpipe.

3,250

When these sensors do not work, the computer runs an open loop which just dumps extra Fuel in the engine. It cannot correctly meter the gas based on air temp, temperature of engine, amount of air flow and the such...

Okay great thank you so much I'm going to take it and have it plugged in and see which codes it comes back with but I was doing some research and noticed that it brought up it could be the O2 sensors and when I pulled up the symptoms that it will cause it has every one of the symptoms of the O2 sensor being bad I cannot thank you enough for taking your time to reply to me I thank you very much have a blessed day

3,250

My step brother has this same car in a 2007 model same generation everything is the same. I had to replace all his sensors. I pad about $150 for all 4 total. Do yourself a favor and buy motor craft. This is what ford wants on this car. I hope this helps and look forward to your fix.

264,425

Don't replace any parts till you have the 4 digit codes and report back.

10

You can buy those OBD 11 BUT IF YOU HAVEN'T PUT 50 MILES ON THE CAR SINCE YOU HAD THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED YOU WON'T GET A CORRECT READING. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY ON THE ONE I BOUGHT TO USE ON MY SABLE.SORRY NEED OBD FOR KEY BOARD. CAPS STUCK.