Gauges reading wrong

Asked by Jun 01, 2012 at 07:18 PM about the 2004 Ford Econoline Wagon 3 Dr E-150 XL Passenger Van

I have a 94 Ford E-150 Econoline Conversion Van, 4.9L. Im having a problem with my gauges. My battery gauge is reading low, but it seems to be effecting my oil pressure and temp gauges. Whenever there is a load in the electrical, the temp and oil pressure increase all the way. Ive never had those gauges go that high. Ive always changed my oil, and i know for a fact that its not over heating. I put a load on the system, the gauges go way up, then back down (but not in their normal position) when i take the load off. I cleaned the terminals and the problem went away for about an hour. Then presisted to do the same thing. The indication problems also start when the van has been running for a bit and gets to temp. When i but a meter on the battery to monitor whats happening, the battery reads 12.8 engine off, 14.6 engine on. Put a load on and bring up the rpms and the meter dropped to 13.4, but didnt go back up. Help please.

20

My 1993 E150 Clubwagon does the same thing when I turn on my ac with high fan. I have a good ground at the instrument cluster...not sure what can do this.

10

I had a similar problem in my 1986 E-150. I replaced the instrument voltage regulator (IVR), which is mounted on the back of the instrument cluster assembly. That solved my problem.

30

What should my temperature gauge show when driving. Just replace thremostat, because it overheated an blow top hose off the radiator. Ford econoline e150 4.9L 1/2 ton van straight 6 1990.