I have a 2004 crown victoria there is a clicking in the dash , withthe key off & out of car it still click . the only way to stop it is to disconect the battery I was told it was temp blend actuator ,it seems it is under the dash if I can get to it it can be replaced , how come even with the key off this thing keeps clicking . Any help with this would be a great help . thank you in advance mike d.

Asked by May 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM about the 2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX

I have remove the radio & glove box & under steering wheel it got to be somewhere . next is the airbag and temp control panel . I am trying to keep from remove the whole dash.

37,965

Do you have the EATC or the manual AC? If it's the EATC, you have a climate control module that communicates with the blend door, and could be moving it even after turning car off. You can try pulling the fuses for the blend door, #16 and for EATC #23. If clicking stops, it may well have been blend door. If you join Crownvic.net, they have a handy "how-to" to remove and replace blend door actuators without fully removing dash. It does involve loosening it and propping passenger side up on a block of wood to get to the actuator through the air bag opening. You have to be sure and get the CORRECT actuator too, as there are two types, one for the manual AC and one for the EATC. BTW, while clicking is a common symptom of a bad blend door or actuator, clicking can also be associated with the GEM (generic electronic module). So be sure to determine if it's the blend door or GEM before you tear into the dash.

Best Answer Mark helpful
67,875

If the blend door actuator is the problem make sure you buy a genuine Ford replacement part. Aftermarket brand is Dorman and they have a pretty bad reputation for failing soon after installation.

THANKS FOR INFO. have not had time to check it all out will do when and warm weather gets here, thanks again.

thanks for info. am going to find the bad one than look for a ford good one , thanks again.

Hi, sorry finished putting all back together. First it was not the temp blend actuator that was clicking , the clip was coming from behind the radio temp. control panel. the battery was almost dead so I charged it tested all again no clicks anywhere, next check starting after heavy rain started every time. So I don't know what I fixed or not fixed because everything keeps on working. thanks for help and tips on what it may have been. Sorry I took so long getting back to you