Tranny

10

Asked by Oct 06, 2011 at 07:54 PM about the 1995 Ford Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

Got a 95 crown vic with 52 k on it and sometimes when I put it in drive, it doesnt grab right away. It doesnt slip and runs great...in excellent shape. Is there a way to tighten up the tranny bands? Any help would be appreciated.

problem may be in the rearend,slack in ring and pinion gear.

10

dont do it all the time. A trip around town ( a couple miles) maybe once or twice. People I bought it from didnt drive it that much. The old man did but he passed away bout 7 yrs ago and his wife drove it maybe a couple times a month. Gonna change the filter and fluid and go from there. Thanks for ur replies guys.

good idea on the filter fluid change.

2,535

The type of transmission in your Crown Vic is likely either an AOD-E or a 4R70W. These are electronically controlled, and one of the problems with this transmission is a delayed engagement of Reverse and/or Drive from a Park of Neutral position. Instead of shifting it into Drive, try selecting 1 or Low. It should engage at a normal rate of speed. If it engages properly, the problem is in the valvebody and is caused by insufficient fluid pressure inside the valvebody. Changing the transmission filter and doing a full fluid exchange (with a power flush machine; simply dropping the pan will only get 1/4-1/3 of the fluid out) *may* help if it hasn't been done as of yet. If you do a fluid exchange, I recommend running a cleaner detergent in the transmission for approximately ten minutes with the transmission warm. This will break down some of the deposits in the valvebody. Otherwise, I recommend an additive called "Stop Slip", made by Lucas Oil. This will effectively increase the pressure inside the valvebody, which will apply more pressure to the solenoid(s) that control reverse and drive engagement. I have used this additive on my personal vehicle for the same problem and it corrected it.

10

Ok...thanks

best BS ive read all year.

835

That helps me too.. Orlack...