hello i have a 1994 ford crown vic lx sedan an i started hearing knocking noise like a tick tick sound under the hood wats wrong with it an engine light is on

20

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM about the 1994 Ford Crown Victoria 4 Dr LX Sedan

Hello i have a 1994 crown vic lx sedan the check engine light on an im hearing a tick tick
sound from under the hood  when i start my car while its running i hear this ticking sound
like the engine is knocking lightly  though i dont understand this car some help e

9,785

Ether Valve Or Lifter tap

9,785

Check your oil could be low

20

Oil is fine so wat do i do

9,785

I can only assume oil has been changed on regular basis and oil level has not dropped between changes,but for that model car ...you are probably not the original owner...so that being said,try a bottle of lucas oil treatment in it.it wont hurt it and may help from it getting worser at this point.Valves are worn from mileage and or oil breackdown..the valves are tapping all you can do is drive it or get ready to do some major head cylinder head work.if it gets louder. Sorry dont want to bring you down. Get the lucs oil treatment,,and maybe im wrong,,but most of the time im right,,,BUT i hope im wrong just for you : )

20

It has a 139 miles on it but i hope its not major

9,785

May be not as long as it dont get louder,,if it does dont drive it it will cost you more to fix if it damages head

20

Ok thankyou im taking it to mechanic in the morning its irritating me bad i wanna try get it fix before it gets bad

9,785

your welcome

20

They dont even have code reader to fit the car

9,785

it might be a fouled plug>> does car have slight skip>?

20

No it runs good an shifts very good

9,785

ok.. get it to a mechanic soon

25,595

Viasha8, if the Mechanic you brought your car to doesn't have the resources to read the codes from your car then they are not Automotive Technicians - they are parts changers and have no business working on cars. I hope you didn't pay them. With 5 minutes of time, a repair manual and a volt meter, ANYONE can read the codes on your EEC-IV / OBD-I system. But then, codes don't make noises. Your Crown Vic has a couple of conditions that can cause your concern. I am assuming that (from your previous posts) the engine runs fine and does not miss. Spark plugs and/or Spark Plug wires were the first failure I though of for a "Ticking Sound" Another source of a sound like the one you describe is/are the Timing Chain Tensioners - they do fail, although not very often. Another Engine noise-related concern is a failed roller and/or flat cam lobe. 139,000 miles really isn't bad for this engine. There is one more item that I have encountered with this engine - although a little rare, I have seen it 3 times in the past year - a broken Flex Plate. It connects your Engine to the Transmission and provides a large gear for the Starter to engage. I suggest that you take it to a Technician that either displays the ASE placard or the dealer. Everyone else is most likely a best-guess parts changer and will cost you more in the long run.

20

Tracey i was just thinking that take it to a a ford dealership cause these so called machanics know im a woman an are trying to rip me off out of thousands of dollars they claim im tired of them guessing i need to know i want my car fix i have not payed anyone to touch my car tracey

20

Tracey the first thing they tell me well replace the engine i be like why they say cause its bad i say no its not the engine an trans mission are both good they tryna play me tracey even though its ticking it still has a strong engine

20

I wish you could hear my car tracey i bet you could tell me excatly wats wrong im so lost

25,595

Well, if your opinion is that all dealership mechanics are rip-offs, I must decline from here. Being a Ford Master Certified Technician - I'm not trustworthy.

25,595

The only reason people take advantage of other people is because they allow it. Male - Female: it makes no difference. Nearly 30 years as an ASE Master Certified Technician with several endorsements AND a Certified Ford Master Technician specializing in Engine and Electronics repair - Just where do you thing my training came from? Ripping people off? How absurd! In fact - Today, I am one of 12 Master Certified Mechanics foe a County agency that repairs, services and Maintains a fleet of over 800 Police vehicles! Ripoff indeed!

20

Im not talking about you tracey im talking about the best guess part changers you were talking about Dont exclude yourself from talking to me i just want help thats all

20

And when i said im gonna take my car to delarship cause these so called machanics are a rip off what i was saying was that i trust a delarship just clarifying what i meant

20

I just want guidience on what to do whats my first step cause first i hear lifters rod bad engine replace it then pistons