automatic transmission 2000 Chevy Tracker

Asked by Jul 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Base 4WD

How do you change the
automatic transmission filter
and fluid for a 2000 Chevy
Tracker I have the fluid and
filter the manual says to use
dextron 3 transmission fluid
and how do you flush the
torque converter when flushing
the transmission

170

This is something best left to a transmission shop or a good decent mechanic. Changing the fluid in the torque converter is very complicated, most do not have drain plugs and to drain them requires pumping the fluid to the sump by cranking the engine manually. It is not worth the trouble to do yourself.

10

Unbolt the transmission pan leaving one or two loose on one end. Loosen then drop the other end to allow the fluid to drain. Remove the remaining bolts, then the cover. Remove and replace the filter. Reinstall the pan. Disconnect the two small transmission hoses at the radiator, one of them (probably the one on the drivers side) will be what the transmission is pumping out. Position a container to catch the fluid that you will be pumping out, approximately three to four quarts. Place your long neck transmission funnel in the dipstick tube. You will want a funnel that will hold approximately one quart or more. Replace the amount of fluid that was drained when you removed the pan to change the filter, approximately three quarts. Have three quarts ready with the caps removed and a forth near by in case you need it. Have a helper start the engine, you will see the old fluid being pumped out. Pay attention to the color of the old fluid. Start pouring the new fluid in as soon as the engine is started and continue adding fluid. When you see the new red fluid coming out of the hose, turn the engine off. At no time do you want the pump inside the transmission to run dry so be sure you are adding fluid just as fast as possible, that is why you need a large funnel capacity. You could also flush the small tank in the radiator but it will not contain much of the old fluid. To complete the process, reattach the hoses. Start the engine and move the gear selector slowly from park to low and continue through the gears, pausing briefly in each one. Do this a few times then check your fluid level and look for any leaks. You should be able to complete the entire process in about an hour. Yes it's safe to do, and this is not going to burn up your transmission if you remember to be sure to keep the transmission's pump full. The alternative to letting the transmission do the purge of old fluid is to just drain the pan and replace only three quarts at a time. After you drain and refill it three or four times you will have replaced most of the old fluid. Just do the flush and be done with it for 50,000 miles, it really is not that difficult. Sammocat