93 Ford Escort Wagon Starts Jerking 50mph

Asked by Mar 05, 2016 at 03:39 PM about the 1993 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

Hello,

My 93 Escort Wagon starts to jerk and shudder once I hit 50-55mph. It
feels like it's losing power. At lower speeds it does just fine. It starts without
issue, idles normal, I can drive around town no problem. It's only on the
freeway at higher speeds that it really struggles and has this problem. At
this point, I'm too afraid to drive it any faster than 45. Any ideas about
what's causing the issue?

10

Check the VSS, Vehicle Speed Senior .93 model VSS is on top of transmission real close to where transmission and engine are joined at bellhousing, at rear of engine look between rear of engine and the firewall. Speedometer cable mounted directly into the top of sensor also a wire connector plugged into the side of sensor. One 10 mm.bolt at hold down bracket remove bolt and bracket should slide back and off VSS, then it should lift strict up and out.spring clip holds speedo.cable don't worry about bend or destroying the clip the spring clip you get a new one with the new VSS, sometimes the clip removing and installation is a pain and of corse unplug the connector lift locking tabs on plug with small screw driver and pull hard. Sometimes the VSS will stick in place where it is dropped in,its made to lift up out of transmission the only problem is it.becomes corroded where it is and sometimes you need to hit around the base of sensor with long pry bar and big hammer.after you remove the clamp nothing else is holding it in the hole except the corrosion around sensor at transmission case. Good luck