y wont my truck come out of 4 low

Asked by Jan 10, 2013 at 05:28 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Extended Cab 4WD

my truck wont come out of 4 low and iv checked the motor and the connections and wires all the way to the motor and everything seems to be fine. the switch in the dash is good i put a new one in for just shits and giggles and it did the same thing blink the whole time and does nothing.  wondering what i should do next running out of options there is one thing that i noticed in the cluster in the dash that when u put in in neutral that it doesnt register and it looks like that when u do put it in neutral that it looks like it jumps right back to park but doesnt register anything. but i can put it in drive and it registers and then i can put it in reverse and it registers and then put it back in neutral then there is absolutely nothing registering so i need help i dont know what to do now help me

22,245

Neutral is required for shifts in and out of low range. If it never detects neutral it wont shift. Press the 4hi button and shift R>N>D>N>R and repeat. Maybe it will catch on at some point.

110

I had this problem. Was trying to back a trailer uphill last night and put it in 4 Lo and it wouldn't come out. I must have put it in a bind. I tried this "R>N>D>N>R and repeat" method and kept pushing the 4 Hi button and finally "CLUNK" it went into 4 Hi. Then it was easy to go into 2 Hi. Thank you so much!!!!

70

TRYED HOLDING THE 4 HI AND MOVING THE SHIFTER R,N,D,N,R, AND FINALLY CLUNK IT WENT IN TO 4HI THEN 2HI THANK ALL FOR YOUR HELP L.J.

10

Thanks everyone who posted this also help me with my 2007 tahoe That was having same problem.

10

Can I put my 2004 2wd motor in a 1999 4 by 4 Silverado

Just saw and try thanks Andrew

170

The selection switch wont light up and the service 4 wheel drive is on . It wont let me select at all

30

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted to this but my 2007 Siverado 1500 got stuck in 4L last night and I googled it, found this string and did it and with some pursueding with bumping it while going R,N,D,N,R,N,D about 7 or 8 consecutive times it did work, I just wanted to thank everyone for this, I have 2 deer in the back of my truck and have to take them 40 miles to the processor this morning and don't have any other way to do it, so thanks you all are life savers

20

Worked Great on my 2008 Silverado, I was about to remove the actuator. Saved me a trip under my truck.

Wow it works

10

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado stuck in 4wd. I tryed that R,N,D,N,R,N,D about 7 or 8 consecutive times and it worked. Awesomr and THANK YOU very much Jack Barrington, NH 3/15/2017

my 03 serria got stuck in 4low and I tried the R,N,D,N,R,N,D, and it didn't work..... it was deffinetly in a bind, reason it didn't work is because my motor switch locked up when it locked into 4 low. the transfer shifts fine but the motor is shot

10

hello every one just bought my 2001 Tahoe at auction was drivivg it home and the steering felt strange when i would turn a corner look to the left and saw it was in 4low tried putting it in 2hi and would not go so i asked my best friend MR google and up poped you all with the same problem and answer tride it and it worded driving fine now best 300$ tahoe i ever got thank you all for the answer to my problem

i disconnected the battery on my 2008 chevy and reconnected after 5 minutes with switch in two hi it worked as well but i will try this if it happens again.

20

The 2nd time my truck had this problem none of this helped, I went under my truck with a rubber mallet and smacked the housing near and around the actuator. made no sense at first but when I went to switch it back to 2 wheel drive it moved over like nothing was ever wrong.

Worked today just fine.Like Duh!

170

I ended up having to replace the transfer case shift motor again.... Anybody know where to get a drive shaft for 05 Silverado 5.3l crew cab 4x4 without breaking the bank?

Thank you I have been messing with that thing for 2 hours. 1 minute of r-n-d-n-r-n-d and Bamm....Thanks again

My wife drove my truck last night in snow, didn't realize she put it in 4L and drove. She called me and I couldn't get it out, and had to drive it home at 20 miles an hour. Tried the R N D N R and it popped out on one try, Thank you so much.

10

I think it's a shame we spend top dollar why did they change this put it back to Manuel shift and locking hubs

The internet always seems to pull through. All I had to do was put my 05 Suburban into neutral and press the 4HIGH and ‘clunk’ it went. Shifted into 2WD as easy as ‘1-2-3’

20

Everyone is talking about a button. My 2004 Silverado does not have a button. It is a manual on the floor. It is stuck in 4 wheel drive and i need to pull a horse trailer today! Can somebody please help!!

You have to disconnect the trailer connection if it’s hooked up. Don’t know why that works...

Yes that did the trick, on my 2005 chevy silverado 1500 that you so much

My GMC has a manual transmission. The R-N-D-N-D-N trick won't work. Now what?

thank you i got a little scared when it wouldn't shift out of low ..recently replaced rear and front diff on my tahoe so automatically assumed the worst about transfer case thanks again

THANK YOU All! It worked for us! We were camping at the coast, got stuck in the sand, put our 2003 Silverado in 4low, got out of the sand but couldn't get out of 4L. We googled the problem at the campground and it worked!!! It saved these two senior's camping trip!

Thanks for the answer. We've had a lot of snow here in Michigan in mid-April, and I've been plowing my driveway so I was using 4-hi. Yesterday it was really heavy so I put it in 4-lo. This morning it wouldn't come out of 4-lo using the normal push of the button. I tried the R-N- D-N-R-N-D routine. It took several times - maybe a dozen shifts - but it finally shifted to 4-hi, and then I was able to put it into AWD.

This worked for my Avalanche. And I was just prepping to bring it to the dealer which would have cost me $$$ for a 5 minute fix. Thanks.