Signals Flash Too Fast - Yet All Lights Working

Asked by Dec 05, 2015 at 08:33 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 RWD

2001 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van

I'm losing sleep on this one, done a myriad of things to solve this life challenge.

what's occurring:
- signal lights on, the 1157's flash (on a guess), double speed / headlights on, triple speed

- (only with headlights on), with left sig on, right FRONT 1157 marker filament does what I call the brite-dim dance

What I've done to date:
- inspected all 1157 sockets
amazed there is noo corrosion of any kind- amazed at how pristine shiny new the look

- replaced all 1157 bulbs (just for fun)

- put 4 new ground jumpers at each 1157 pig tail (just for fun)

- found corrosion in rear trailer plug - chopped it off - still no change

- inspect harness all the way to the rear
    pleasantly surprised to discover there in no outside harness - it's all inside
    up at the ceiling, drivers side, away from moisture and getting stepped on etc

- changed signal light switch (just for fun)

- all fuses are working

There's no rearward problems showing themselves (other than the fast flash).

I'm stymied ladies and gentlemen.

My logic tells me that "the less load-the faster the flash".
Yet, alllll bulbs are working, (no, there not LED, they're good old fashioned 1157's)

All and any ideas, thoughts and solid solutions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

I didn't see where you changed the flasher for the blinkers under the dash, that may help.

Darn, I forgot to add that to my list Rowe Fast. Yes, I've been on this for over a week. Flasher was changed out on day one. But thank you for your wise observation, query. :)

Ok, the best I came up with from my sources, would be to try a heavy duty flasher. Seems when you add more lights the faster they flash, so they make a heavy duty flasher which would slow them down. Worth a try...

I had the same problem - Left hand side, rear. I tried everything! Here's what I found: If the signal on the dash is flashing fast, it means that the (high- tech) flasher unit under the dash is getting power, and sending 12volts out, but has detected NO resistance on that line. So it flashes fast (for some reason). There's a direct wire (mine was yellowish) from the flasher all the way to the bulb. After I metered the pins on the back of the flasher unit and found the one that was sending our a signal, I cut that wire near the flasher and used straight pins and an extension wire to start ohming the line all the way back. Even though the wire bundle looked GREAT and clean I found my wire was broken under the drivers seat, in the harness channel. Rather than remove the seat and all, I just fed a new (heavier gauge) wire through the channel and wire nutted it to a place where I had conductivity to the back bulb. Working like a champ now. Seems GMC did use the best of wiring as the wire was brittle when I worked with it. No wonder it broke. Good luck!! It's all fixable --- Btw: don't forget to splice the wire at the flasher back together. =o}