2001 astro fuel delivery issue

Asked by Jun 20, 2017 at 02:38 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van 3 Dr STD Cargo Van Extended

I have a 2001 astro 4.3 vortec   when it sets over
night I have to turn engine over 15-20 times to get
it "primed" to start, after it starts it runs great, but
once it's turned off , it takes a few times to get it
started.  Fuel pump operates correctly.    
Any suggestions...

21,055

it may be more of an injector problem like sticking on their seats , maybe a shot of gas at intake and one crank it fires that shows the prime your waiting for isn't getting past the injectors till they jar loose just a thought try kreen from kano labs

895

This is a common problem. There is a check valve in the fuel pump that keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank. If the check valve goes bad there is no fuel in the line to pressurize. The 4.3 Vortec engines needed more than 60 pounds of fuel pressure to run. By cranking it you are allowing the fuel pump to build the pressure up to where it needs to be to run the vehicle. Try to cycle the key on, wait for about 5 seconds then turn the key off without trying to start the engine. Repeat this a couple times, then try to start the engine. If it starts without cranking a really long time. Replace the fuel pump.