Replacing value cover gasket

Asked by GuruHQ3MK Feb 16, 2020 at 03:10 PM about the 1994 Ford Escort 2 Dr LX Hatchback

I am trying to figure out how to change my valve
cover gasket in my 1994 Ford Escort hatchback
1.9L I've looked on YouTube for videos showing me
how to do this but I cannot find anywhere 1 for a
1994 it seems to be pretty easy I just would feel
more confident if I had a video or even a detailed
explanation of how to do it if anybody can help me
with this I would really appreciate it.
Thank u
Ashley

13,275

why must you? valve cover is leaking, these engines are notorious for having a ticky valve, at the shop would use STP and the ticks went away~ of course this is a design flaw from these engines~ there are perhaps (8) 10mm (I think) Canadian build? can replace the gasket, but you are gonna get dirty, as you probably do not have a "safe-t-kleen" tank to wash it clean have a dishpan full of Dawn with the duck~ and scrub brush, gonna be more work than you would like~ in the end you'll still need stp or such to make it sound right~ with quite a few miles is going to fail emissions testing too~ good luck on this~ think pick-a- part, may be easier than surgery on this troubled motor~

13,275

291,645

Dig in and get your hands greasy. It is easy and as you work on it you will gain confidence. Be careful not to over tighten the VC bolts!

122,955

Visit your local auto parts store and get a repair manual. There'll be step by step instructions on how to do this and pictures. For a beginner this may be a daunting job. But with a little bit of patience and the repair manual you can do it! Remember, every expert was once a beginner! Hope that helps! Jim