2007 Camry Hybrid Battery Problem or Electrical Issues?

20

Asked by Jun 27, 2016 at 05:03 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with approximately 134K miles.  The
"Check Hybrid System" comes on along with "Check VSC system".  The
VSC system always comes on a second or two after the check hybrid system
turns on.  Lately, I have been getting anywhere between 32 and 34 MPG
with my car.  I drive approximately 1000 miles a week.  The light usually
turns on immediately after I start the car and while I'm backing up.  They
came on several times before and I usually go to the 12 volt battery in the
trunk and disconnect it to reset the whole system.  Then everything runs
smooth again for about a week.  The hybrid battery charges up to about 90%
or level 7.  For some reason, I never see it up to level 8 which is the highest.  
Do you think the hybrid battery needs replacement or the car has an
electrical problem.?  I live in FL and it's really hot nowadays.

1,110

Sounds like you need to have the computers on this vehicle scanned with the appropriate SCAN TOOL. I suspect a wheel speed sensor failure. There are some Auto Parts Stores which provide scan services for free. Is there an "AUTO Zone" in your area?

20

Thank you Tony for your insight. Yes I do have Advanced Auto Parts and AutoZone nearby to have it scanned. Also, I had it read at Toyota Dealership a while back and they told me I needed to replace my whole Hybrid Battery pack. I can never trust these guys which is why I am seeking others opinion on this.

1,110

Understand your concern about Toyota .....unfortunately the diagnosis of your Battery Pack requires the detailed data stream a Factory Scan Tool provides. Did Toyota write on the repair order the ID of the codes they found which led them to their diagnosis? They should have. The ID of the codes being set when that warning light comes on is key. Make some phone calls to various INDEPENDANT garages. Some...do invest in a Factory Scan Tool. They usually charge about $100.00 for a Scan diagnosis vs...What was the estimate for a Battery Pack from Toyota?

20

I actually never thought to look for a code that led Toyota to this conclusion. However, I pulled my receipt and there is no code shown. See attached photo. The battery pack is estimated at $4,920.00 before labor.

1,110

IMO...I would want a second opinion including the rational...eg..trouble codes stored in the computer....and the labor charge. Toyota used to claim these batteries would last 100,000 miles or 10 years. Since you are over this mileage....It might be interesting to do some shopping around for a "good used" battery pack. There should be some wrecked hybrids in the junk yards. Keep in mind there is a huge safety issue associated with this battery replacement. High Voltage stored in this battery could kill.

Recognizing this is 8-months old, hoping to help someone else maybe: Check the 12v battery in the trunk. If you don't have the tools yourself, drive to Autozone or Pepboys etc and ask them to test it (many of them will come out to the car). Apparently 2007 era hybrids can throw this code when the "normal" battery (not the big battery pack) goes bad. Try that first!

1,550

Gilbert....did you ever resolve this issue with your vehicle?

20

No, I'm still driving with the "Check Hybrid System" light on and I can see the gas mileage is progressively diminishing after I log my fuel assumption. I had the car read by an independent hybrid battery replacement mechanic and by Goodyear Auto, and they both conclude it's the hybrid battery. It has been over a year since the light came on, but the car is still driveable. I don't plan on taking any more actions unless you have a suggestion that involves not replacing the battery and save me my wallet. Thank You for responding. I truly appreciate it.

60,165

I would shop around for an aftermarket battery pack. I see battery packs for $1,000 to $2,000. Installation would be extra and all batteries are not the same so check them out first.

20

I have shopped around and found refurbish battery pack anywhere between $1,100 and 2,500 depending on level of warranty selected. I'm wondering if I can drive the car until the hybrid pack in my car completely dies. Then I'll replace it. Any reason not to do that other than being stranded at the worst time possible? I guess that's the risk I'm willing to take. Please advise.

Test

I am having the same problem. I also cannot afford to fix it and have been driving it. Sometimes the big battery makes a humming noise. Have you experienced this? I was curious if there is a way to allow the engine to run off fuel only without the hybrid system.

20

Lately I have been disconnecting the 12 volt battery whenever the warning light comes on. The warning light goes away and the car drives as normal again. I do hear the humming noise but only when the warning light is not on. If you disconnect the 12V battery, does your warning light disappear even for a few days? If you haven't tried that, disconnect it for about 30 seconds and let me know what you get after you plug it back in. Thanks

I had two issues, the first was with the Check Hybrid System being on constantly, which when I would charge the Auxiliary (12 volt deep cycle) it would go away for a while. The whole system doesn't work if that battery is dead. Then, even with a full charge the Check Hybrid System light would come on. We decided to buy an aftermarket hybrid battery (fully installed $1000). It went away for a while, but now the issue happens that Gilberttheman describes to begin with, only accompanied by a complete loss of power. This usually happens while backing up but is now doing it randomly and I've noticed that the gear isn't detected on the dashboard. Again, Toyota said get a new car.

1,550

Passive...what year is your hybrid?

20

Update: For the first, my 07 TCH check hybrid system light came on while driving at a speed more than 60 MPH. However, it still behaves as if the light is not on. Previously when the light is on, the car never shuts off when I'm at a stop light or going less than 20 MPH. This time, it's shutting off running on battery only. The navigation screen displays energy flow while driving unlike previous occasions. Although all tests performed on that car points to the battery, I still wonder if there's an underlying issue other than the hybrid battery. Please shed some light if you have any. Thanks,

1,550

Seems you will need to have this vehicle checked out at a Toyota Dealership. Their Factory Scan Tool is needed to probe and display Data from each and every computer on this vehicle. Otherwise...all we can do is keep guessing about the root cause of your issues with this vehicle. So...you might consider a full diagnosis at the Dealer...and...make sure you have documentation of ALL stored and current TROUBLE CODES found in the memory of the many computers....and...an estimate for the cost of repairs. These Hybrid Vehicles are great cars for about 100,000 miles....10 years. Then....Those Cells in in the HV Battery start to go bad. Groups of these Cells are monitored by a Computer. When the Computer "sees" a Cell going bad...it identifies its location within a group of Cells. HV Battery re-builders ID the bad cells and replace them with a good USED cell from a returned (core) Battery Pack. That explains a Good Used replacement HV battery Pack @ $1500 vs a Toyota new BP at about $3-4000. In the final analysis....how much $$$$ did you really save on gas? Perhaps...Folks should be doing the math before a Hybrid purchase. Thanks for the update and let us know the "latest and greatest on this interesting and educational issue.

My car shuts off when on battery power only, usually going less than 20 mph. It always restarts, which is why I thought it was a problem not with the starter battery, but the hybrid battery. I haven't had a chance to unplug and re-plug the starter battery. I just replaced the $600 starter battery 5 months ago.

20

Does anyone know a place in Florida, preferably in those cities West Palm Beach, Tampa, Miami, Sarasota, Orlando where I can take my hybrid battery and have it worked on. Although the light and diagnosis pointed to the battery, I truly believe there's some other issues perhaps charging cable I dont know. Please advise if you know a place.

1,550

Gilbert....did you ever resolve the issue with your vehicle?

20

No, I have not. Do you a solution for me?