Battery goes dead after sitting

Asked by Feb 03, 2014 at 03:11 PM about the 1960 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Roadster

My older vette (60), after sitting for awhile, the battery goes dead and will not start.  I recently changed the voltage regulator and the problem persists.  The car does have a clock that runs but I have other cars that also have clocks and no problem starting after sitting for the same amount of time.  Any suggestions as to where the leakage might be occurring?  thank you all

how old is the battery? is there a after market radio in the car... might want to check your grounds also when I had a dead ground in my old chevy it would have a small spark when I would put the battery cable on ended up having a bad tail light socket 10 + yrs ago same Diehard battery and cranks up every time don't matter how cold...

check grounds.. how old is the battery and is it still factory radio? I had a dead ground in my old chevy truck and when I would connect the battery it would spark a tiny bit ended up being a bad tail light socket and the after market radio never another problem still the same Diehard battery cranks right up no matter how cold..

sry got booted and didn't know my first answer made it..

20,685

Bad battery or radio.The best thing to do is disconnect the battery ground if it is going to sit for a while.

71,665

I'd say the battery is bad. But just to make sure get a 12 volt dc test light. Disconnect the positive battery cable. Wire your test light in series between the battery post and the disconnected battery cable. Remove the fuse for the clock and close the doors so the interior lights are off. The test light should not glow at all. If it does, something's pulling power. One by one remove and reinstall all the fuses until the test light goes out. Once it goes out, there's your problem circuit. HTH. -Jim

I have a 2014 corvette, we were on vacation for two months had trickle charger plugged i (I thought) came home and battery dead. I heard ai should not try and jump it, should I put in a new battery?

71,665

If the battery is less than about 3 years old, remove it from the car and charge it. If it's older, just replace it. By jump starting it with a completely dead battery the alternator will have to charge the battery. That puts an excessive load on the alternator and may burn it out. A new battery is cheaper! HTH. -Jim