Horn

Asked by Apr 18, 2016 at 04:10 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

The horn stopped working on my 1989 corvette. I
have to get the vehicle state inspected. Until I can
diagnose the problem i was going to temp install a
horn button under the dash. I don't want to cut
wires on my car. Is there any other Chevy vehicles
that I can take the wires from to clip into the horn.

24,075

Did you check the fuse? The contacts in the steering wheel complete the ground side of the circuit, so there would not be power there. If you can identify the wire going to the steering wheel from the relay, try grounding it with a jumper and see if the horns work. You can also test the horns themselves by jumping 12 volts to the proper terminal on them. Could be that they went bad one at a time, and you only noticed when the second one failed. check the alarm fuse, it is behind the info panel , requires you to remove the centre dash panel to get to the fuse - I just replaced the 10 amp fues with a 15 amp one as the 10 amp one kept blowing (I have aftermarket horns installed by a previous owner) and it's good to go - silly place for that fuse as its a bit of a bear to get to it.... Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech- performance/2670706-1989-corvet-horn-not- working.html#ixzz46D9mjMC2 Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech- performance/2670706-1989-corvet-horn-not- working.html#ixzz46D9ODbuv is there power to the horn??? anyway run a dedicated 12 volt wire switch ton the horn to get you by..

12,115

Curtis, I suggest you diagnose your horn problem, Do you hear the click of the horn relay when you press the horn? I don't know your skill set level but this is so simple basic and easy to do. If you don't own a volt ohm meter its a low cost investment worth having...just a suggestion 1. Check the horn itself they do go bad check for resistance or apply 12 volts dc to its terminals, anything? if more than 1 check both. 2 Next have some one press the horn switch in the down on position and check for 12volts at the wires that attach to the horn(s) if nothing inspect connectors and wiring at the connector. Yes the fuse box is next upstream... check the main fuse, and the fuse located behind the panel above the radio and air conditioning controls. (I'm sure you checked this first) as everyone thinks its always a FUSE! the fuse is good? is there power at fuse slot terminals use your meter? next upstream to the horn switch if you read this far then were talking contacts in switch under the steering wheel, in column, these center mounted C4 series type switch's are easy to service, inspect and or replace ...KNOWN #1 cause press it really hard anything? If you do this diagnostic and repair pay yourself $400-500 about 1 hours time. regards.

238,105

Go with the instructions above, why waste all that time installing and hacking your car up for a temp install? Do it right.

238,105

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t1690_ds650104

Thanks for the info. But Tom I wasn't going to "Hack up" my car. I can temp install a horn in about 20 minutes. I just didn't want to cut wires to temp install a horn. I just need it to pass state inspection before i start disassembling the dash.

tape an air horn on the door. they say working horn not what kind of horn.