Is there an easy way to bypass the Bose System radios ?

115

Asked by Sep 14, 2007 at 12:54 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I am trying to get a new radio installed into my 88 corvette and all of the installers are saying that they have to replace everything , including radio , speakers, and wiring , because the bose parts are not interchangable with anything but themselves .  A cheap $150 stereo and 2 pairs of $100 speakers should equal $350 ....but I have been getting quotes of $700-$800 because of all the labor it involves .  Can this be right ?  I have never installed a radio before ...would it be stupid for a novice to attempt an install ?  How can I get around these extra costs ?  That Bose guy needs to be tied to a pole and slapped repeatedly in the face for 3 hours straight for making such a crazy nonworking radio system .

45,315

This sounds about right to me, the Bose systems are "premium" and as such don't always share interchangeability with other systems. Wiring shouldn't be an issue, there should be a harness available that will change from Bose to non-Bose, but that might be in a perfect world.

195

I replaced a Bose Factory System because as time goes on the the system breaks down. The Radio section or "head unit" is actually like a preamp while the speakers have the amps attached to them. I've found that over time the door speakers dry out and blow as well as the amplifiers with them. I replaced the head unit with an Alpine CD Tuner, a seperate passive equalizer, a front amp for the door and dash speakers and a rear amp for a bass box containing two ten inch woofers behind the seats. The system pumps and the car is a 1988 convertible. I've installed many sound systems through the years and I believe that for a novice, Crutchfield can guide you through the installation process with would save you a lot of $$$ if you don't mind doing the work.

1,505

That is correct, for the most part. The Bose system is propietary and none of the components, including the speakers, can be used with any non-Bose equipment. Plus your better off using non-Bose you will get much better quality for much less $, Bose is *way* overrated.

85

Over a 2 year period I've had all 4 speaker amps, the radio, and the preamp rebuilt at a cost of ~$800, and that doesn't count the labor. The door speakers and radio are easily to work on, but the preamp located under and behind the glove box is next to rediculous to change. I paid someone to take this one out an replace it. The system now works well, but I'd replace the Bose system completely if I had it to do over again.