This is a long one. I went in to get my breaks fixed about a month ago. They shaved down the rotors on my two back tires. Well, they checked my other brakes, but forgot to tighten the lug nuts on my front left tire, and it ended up falling off while I was driving. They fixed resulting issues, free of charge. Then yesterday, it sounded like the back brakes were going again, so I took it back to them. They said the BACK brakes, which were supposed to have been fixed originally, a month ago, were metal on metal (they re-graded/shaved down the rotors). They went ahead and replaced the back rotors and pads, but I'm curious... Could the front tire falling off have caused the back brakes to wear out? Or did they just not do a good job originally? Or could something else be causing the brakes to wear so quickly?

Asked by Dec 10, 2013 at 02:20 PM about the 2002 Honda CR-V LX AWD

This is a long one. I went in to get my breaks fixed about a month ago. They shaved
down the rotors on my two back tires. Well, they checked my other brakes, but forgot to
tighten the lug nuts on my front left tire, and it ended up falling off while I was driving.
They fixed resulting issues, free of charge. Then yesterday, it sounded like the back
brakes were going again, so I took it back to them. They said the BACK brakes, which
were supposed to have been fixed originally, a month ago, were metal on metal (they re-
graded/shaved down the rotors). They went ahead and replaced the back rotors and
pads, but I'm curious... Could the front tire falling off have caused the back brakes to
wear out? Or did they just not do a good job originally? Or could something else be
causing the brakes to wear so quickly?

2002....probably over 100,000 of course you should be on your fifth set of brakes....depending on the environment....please do not blame the mechanic...it's not like he NEVER has done these~

there are a lot of factors at play here...mostly is from using the brakes so much....back off man!....so it takes an additional minute or so....risk it all...put it on black...no seriously the quality of brake materials is NOT a military or NASA specification....it has to be made from something that does not catch fire too easily....for your information steel burns...light a piece of steelwool on fire if you do not believe me....in my humble opinion you are lucky to be alive, friend....why did you not notice weird oscillations at all? play your stereo too loud?~

Ummm... Did you not read the part about where they didn't put my lug nuts back on and my tire came off WHILE I WAS DRIVING?! That doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in my mechanic, considering the fact that I am "lucky to be alive" (said the tow truck driver who was also a mechanic).

I did notice it, and when I called, they said it was just my brakes breaking in. I was also out of town and driving back home at 5am when it started to get really bad. They fixed my brakes a month ago. I'm just curious as to why they need to be fixed again. You can kindly quit blaming me. I'm not automatically assuming it was their fault, I'm just wondering if it could be some other issue that's causing my brakes to wear quickly.

Or if it's possible that a mechanic, who didn't tighten all the lug nuts, also didn't do a proper job shaving down the rotors.

210,495

Based on your information I can say the mechanic wasn't paying attention on both issues. 1. Was they forgot to tightnen up the lugs. You were lucky and they covered the expense. 2. When they turned down the back rotors they should have noticed that the pads were low. They wore down so much that it was metal on metal. So now you have new rotors and pads, so you should be OK there. You might want to find another mechanic in the future.

Best Answer

Thanks Tom! I will after all these issues are fixed... I'm sure they don't want to be sued, so they have been taking care of the associated problems. And I don't want to sue. It sucks though, because they are less than a mile from my apartment but they're obviously not very trustworthy. That was my first time using them.

Honestly, I think I've been pretty cool about the whole situation. I even told the manager to consider not firing the mechanic, just punishing him (they'd already punished him), because it's doubtful that he'll make that mistake again. It was really scary, possibly slightly traumatic, and honestly, I just want to feel confident and safe in my car again.

1,775

"they said it was just my brakes breaking in"....YEAH RIGHT.. sounds like if you yell JUDGE.... you might get a lot fixed..