problems with AC compressor

Asked by Jul 06, 2007 at 06:13 PM about the 2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD

I have 46,000 miles on my CRV.  The AC compressor went up.  Is this typical

30,525

It's not extremely common but it certainly happens.

160

It's more common than you thought. Please visit http://topix.com and search for Honda crv air conditioner problems. You'd be surprised. I have a '03 crv myself and having the same problem.

145

I'm on my third compressor. Currently 110,000 miles on my '02. Can't wait for the next "event" . :> Was told by a service manager this is unfortunately common to CR-Vs. Other Honda models are each known for different weaknesses and it's the compressor for CR-V. Lucky for my wallet at least the first time was under certified warranty with somewhere around 54,000 miles. Second time the compressor's clutch somehow led to it's demise. My advice to anyone buying a used CR-V, you might consider purchasing a warranty on it just because A/C repairs are easily quite expensive.

160

and if you are running on a high rpm you should turn off the a/c because the engine , a.c alternator only has one belt.

60

professional maintenance may prevent your a/c compressor from locking up. it need frequent maintenance in order to avoid some causes like improper lubrication, incorrect types of refrigerant and low coolant levels

240

I had my 2006 CRV with 69k miles, was just serviced by the Honda dealer a few weeks ago, including an AC check. The compressor went out two days ago and the estimate is $3,500. I never expected this with a Honda ...so much for thier claims of lowest cost of ownership!

150

$3500??? Don't tell me you're going to let Honda take care of it. The part costs about $400. My mechanic that I have had for years and trust completely is charging a total of $750. Shop around my friend.

240

Honda agreed to pay for 80% of the replacement costs. My out of pocket is $545 and the entire new A/C system will come with a 12,000 miles / 12 month warranty.

130

There are have many reports about Honda CR-V A/C system breaking down. A lot of Honda owners are dismayed about how the company is handling these reports. I'm not going to have a tirade about this. Instead I'm just going to agree with kevhae's comment. You can achieve a lot more with less time and effort. There are a lot of good deals available to get an A/C Compressor replacement.

70

Hello, My compressor just went out Thursday at 46,000 miles also. The dealer wanted to charge me $1000 and someone else wanted $900.00 to replace the compressor. I was told my the ac guy, this is a problem with the Honda CRV.

230

Why hasn't there been a recall? It seems to me that there are numerous complaints about this compressor and we're paying thousands to get them fixed

30

I bought an AC Compressor from ebay for my 2007 CRV EXL NAV for $144 and a certified Honda Mechanic is my best bind installed for me for $100 an case of Bud Light Tequila BB... So next time a sales person present you with a Warranty don't be a cheap A$$. Don't tell them oh I don't need it ..its a Honda! when you decline it u no what sales person is saying in back of his mind I wish this mutha f$$ break in half just after 36k

90

I have an '09 crv and i'm told that due to the placement of the a/c compressor (bottom of the engine compartment) it picks up a lot of road salt/dust etc and that is what causes the problems to start. then if you don't use it all winter and the road salt takes it toll and when you try to use it again when the weather gets hot it won't work. fix to this (after you pay to repair it) is to turn on the system about once per week through the winter-just to keep the compressor from ceasing up. Honda engineers know the compressor is poorly placed and Honda knows this and should make things right for all these failed systems. Honda is surely losing any repeat customers because of this. Me being one, just got a Volkswagen as a second vehicle.

50

My wife's crv just blew the ac unit yesterday with just over 40,000 miles on clock No doubt my fight is just beginning

60

I have a 2009 crv clutch locked up. Hoping for a recall before summer hits.

40

Our 2007 CR-V just started blowing hot air yesterday in 100 heat. I'm so happy to see so many people getting the ultimate shaft on this, NOT. The dealer just told me (on the phone) "your car is out of warranty but if the one part out of the thousands of AC parts that is bad is the Compressor Clutch, the warranty has been extended to 7 years and 70,000 miles." We'll see when I go on Saturday... NOT pleased about this.

30

After reading all the messages on this thread I guess I have to feel very lucky. I got this CRV brand new in 2007 and just yesterday the compressor died. I guess after all these years and 160K miles I should not feel too bad. The Honda dealer offered 3 years/36K miles warranty for a total cost of $1K.

260

It sounded like I was dragging a stick under the front passenger side wheel-- then the CR-V 2006 quit running... the engine stalls out if the air is on---air will not work? Is this an air compressor problem?? What does this mean??

40

Scott Robinson (Torrance, CA) took in my car, and automatically assumed the problem was the one part covered under an "extended warranty". They diagnosed that the part was indeed the cause, they assumed it would be covered by the warranty. They did the job and apparently called the warranty department and got the OK to cover the repair. They returned my fixed AC car at no charge. Very relieved. I actually bought the "Service consultant" a six pack in gratitude.

40

I have a 2003 crv and 279000 miles on it and my a/c went out for the very 1st time. I think I am pretty lucky that this is the only major thing that has happened. I hope to keep my crv for a few more years. Don't like car payments.

240

Class Action Law Suit link http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1894-honda-air-conditioningcompressor-class-action-settlement/

if it is the ac cluch this will be my second one first one was free . this one i dont know yet but it has been less then 12 months .

290

I have a 2009 Honda crv. Yesterday I heard something like a pressure valve released. Then it started missing a little. Then checked under hood it done it again like 3 times. Now air isn't getting cold.any suggestions what it cld be! Thanks!

50

I think something is also wrong with my car air conditioning. When it turns on it makes a whistling sound. I always have to turn up my music loud enough so no one in my car notices. I just moved to Morehead and am looking for a repair shop to help me out. Can anyone recommend of a good place? Hannah | http://www.davis-repair-service-hvac.com/services

10

I hate it when my air conditioner breaks. I tend to get hot really easily, so when my air conditioner brakes I can really feel it. It seems like my air conditioner brakes down just about every summer. I am really hoping that my system will be able to make it through next summer. Mary Jane | http://www.pennyplumbing.com/air-conditioning-repair/

90

Has anyone had any luck going to small claims court with this? AC compressor just went on our 2005 CRV. Dealer said recall & warrantee don't apply. $3300 to fix, ouch!

40

I feel your pain. I have a Honda CR- V 2005 and the compressor just went out. It's making so much noise. The dealership gave me an estimate for $1800. My friends mechanic gave me a quote for $350 parts and he says plus free on, oils and labor it's gonna cost me $600. With 1 year warranty. I really hope I can trust that it will be brand new parts.

30

2007 Honda CRV Just Happened to us also, First it was the a/c relay. Changed Relay lasted 3 weeks now compressor fail. Compressor is located in the worst possible place what a piece of ****!!