V6 to V8 in 88' Camaro

55

Asked by Jul 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro Base

At the moment i have 88' Std coupe Camaro with a 2.8L V6 and a automatic trans.I would like to swap in a Scoggin -Dickey Tpi Vortec 350 Crate motor, the motor is complete except for runners throttle body,pleneum and harness and injectors and little misc things,i am wondering if it would be possible to swap in the motor in my garage, the cost for a computer,harness,fuel and airintake system and all the little sensors to make it work and if any1 recomends a performance exhaust, that is a complete exhaust-headers,y-pipe,cat/cats,and cat back, or duals, would have to pass ohio edmission laws.. well thanks for any responses to this question, anything will help, thanks to all. oh almost forgot, the suspension is upgraded,the tranny is getting swaped for a 5 speed and the rear axle is getting replaced with a beefed up rear from a 88' irocz, well thanks again

IT might be doable lot of work and $$$$ involved,but you might want to check with a inspection station on this swap.you have to pass a edmission test ,that i belive would be the problem when they run the VIN # an it comes comes back as a v6.

10,125

Love you choice of engine. Can be done in garage. You will need to change motor mount brackets on k-member. You can get a harness and stock air intake systems real easy on ebay or the junk yard. I would buy a new ecm from you local auto parts store, just for reliability. Cost is usually around $200-$300. The stock computer will not work well with your engine though, especially if you want it to pass emissions test. You will have to get a custom programmed chip for the ecm for it to work efficiently (http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module=chip). True duals are possible but reduces ground clearance. They make quite a few good low restriction aftermarket exhaust systems. I would also advise the use of the dual cat setup used in the 89-92 350 tpi cars (lower restriction, while maintaining emmissions efficiency), aftermarket systems found at Summit Racing.com (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D68763&view=32&N=700+4294924930+4294908153+4294907958+4294918680+4294840140). Make sure you chose your catback system for that to be used with the dual cat setup. You should have no issue with the vin check. Did not exist in OBD1. Ever thought of slapping a LS2 in it? Couple more sites you might like. http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/82_92_catalog http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=77

55

yeah it has a full Bmr k-member with arms and new springs to lower it and full rear suspension-control arms,panhard bar,and sway bar, the car would prolly see some of the track but prolly more of a road course, it might become a race car a lil bit later but use bout the same engine setup for push more toward the 450-500 naturally aspirated hp but thanks for the info, i have thought about a carbed ls1 to put in it or efi ls7

55

oh the car is already torn down. the rearend is installed and all the suspension pieces also,and the dash out(replacing gauges,pad, and speakers) no console, looking for manual console,no doors or panels(inside armrest on both doors have ripped off)no glass no hatch, getting metal work done by the hinges,have a 4 in cowl hood, motor coming in about a week, saving the tranny going to service then sell dont know exactly what trans is it but 3 spd auto(is orginal only 109,000 miles on it) besides thats the car will be painted the factory metallica gray, but getting rid of the base coupe two tone stuff on the ground effects be just straight gray with a black and red interior...

10,125

Sounds like it will be sweet when done. For that extra touch, this would be a great time to upgrade to the dash and console out of a 4th gen model. Can be put in with little modification. You can also move the mirrors off of the door with the use of 4th gen mirrors. Look at grabbing a 6-speed out of the newer model, too. Will warrent better gas mileage and performance. I had an 89 GTA that was my toy for a while so I know the fbody in and out. Feel free to ask any questions. I have a number of sites to help you through. Also if you need a hatch, I have one sitting in storage. Would sell it cheap.

55

i still like the orginal dash and console, idk why but i do, my dad has had 3 third gen f-body and built acouple out of his shop he will help me with the most of the engine install, umm do you know any place where i can get oe door panels like the inside skin and handle/armrests with hardware that would help abunch, and also is there a difference between base coupe seats and a irocz seats? and maybe a wheel and tire combo? i been thinking about centerline wheel's drager series wheels and prolly bfg rubber... thanks for any responses...

55

i do have a hatch just where between it and the roof panel is all rusted out where the hinges would be, just what i meant by no glass no hatch was that there is no windshield,no door glass or hatch glass and the hatch is not on the car at the moment, oh do u think it would be better to leave orginal grill and spoiler or swap out for 91-92 irocz grill and spoiler?? thanks for the help

55

my bad its dagger wheels and bfg rubber, umm any ideas to really make my camaro paint wise different, i wont change the paint color but anything like a little pinstriping here and there or something thanks...

10,125

I like the look of the 91-92 models.

10,125

and to the seats.. there was a difference.. the seats out of the fourth gen models bolt right in too. I think they look better anyway and they are alot more comfortable to sit in. Usually can get all electric with lumbar support and seat heater, lol.

10,125

and to the door panels. Both sites i listed above for fbody motorsports and hawks 3rd gen both carry it. Hope that helps. Look forward to seeing the final pics of your car

10

i got a 88 to with a 2.8 but want a 5.7 and a 5 speed how do i do it????????????????????????

7,275

check hawks 3rd gen web site. there are multiple walk through procedures on the net for this.

you're gonna need stiffer springs in the front for the added weight & suspension upgrades as well. sounds like fun !