Car will not start

Asked by Jan 07, 2013 at 01:53 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

When I try to start my car, the engine turns but won't start.   When I prime it, it will start and stay running until I turn the key off.  Than unless I prime it, it will not start.  I changed out the fuel relay mounted on the fire wall but  car will not start.... It has the 305 and  a manual trans.  The car had been sitting for about 7 months.  I know it is getting fulel up to the injectors.

5,740

Is it fuel injected as in throtle body in jection? or is it carbed? if it is carbed I would say that the ecelerator pump is week

99,065

It sounds like the ECU isn't getting the signal that it is cold. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail but not enough for a cold start.

5,740

How are you primeing it if it is fuel injected? starter fluid?

With starter fluid.

you could also check the fuel pressure regulator. they get weak bleed pressure back to the fuel tank and dont hold enough pressure in the fuel rail for start up until you crank them for a min.

255

gunked up tank?

I will check the fuel pressure but once I spray prime it it will run. Just won't restart unless I prime again.

255

oh i thought it dies when you stop spraying starter fluid

34,275

Ignition switch is a possibility. Try turning the ignition switch to the on position and jump the starter. Large B+ terminal to the small s terminal. If it starts the ignition switch has a flat or burnt or broken spot in it.

10

Injectors pulse then stop ,some times they do nothing other times they pulse could it be map sensor

10

my 1990 camaro will crank but not start i had replaced the engine it ran before that i put a new fuel pump and ecm in it as long as you spray fluid in it it would run until fluid burn off