fuel system??????????????

Asked by Jul 25, 2009 at 09:58 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

is there anything else i should check on before i putt a new fuel pump in? is there a fuel filter or what do you think might be the probblem? it wont get gas to the engine butt once you drop some in manually it kicks..... need help please.. i no a new fuel pump is about 90 bucks so any help will do... and if you have any tips on getting to the fuel tank to drop it please share that info as well.... thank's

35

u might wanna try cleaninn ur carb cause if its clogged it wont deliver the gas like it should

115

are you dumb? carbs don't use fuel pumps its all vacuum only fuel injection uses fuel pumps. and since its an 89 RS it probably has a 305 tpi so if anything its probably a bad filter

145

Dont be a dipshit Kyle. Carbed engines have mechanical fuel pumps. For this problem i'd keep it simple to start. Check the fuel filter first for a clog..

ok well not to be a dipshit....lol.... or a dummy .... where is the filter located?

6,675

actually the odds of it being tpi is less likely than it is tbi on a 305 RS model. and since he said he dumped fuel straight in im guessing theres an even stronger possibility it is tbi and not tpi.

55

if its carbureted then the fuel filter can either be right infront of the carb or like my 78 camaro it is inside the carb right on the otherside of the fuel line where it goes into the carb or right after the outlet on the gas tank. make sure none of the hoses are cracked and leaking cause you could have a vacuum leak and your just not building up pressure to the fuel pump. if the car has been sitting for a while it prolly is the fuel pump

55

so if your car is fuel injected and you have to change the pump all you have to do is disconnect all of your fuel lines and fuel gauge wires and then disconnect the two straps that go around the tank..place a jack under the tank while you do this so you can safely lower it when your done.. you shouldnt have to drop your exaughst or anything but im not sure i have only done this twice and thats once on my camaro and again on a dodge caravan.