What factory emmision componets came with the 89 Z, 350CID, Tuned Port Injection. Did the 89 Z have an air pump/smog system.

Asked by Dec 08, 2006 at 10:30 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z

If you can provide me a picture or listing of factory emmision componets that would be great

17,655

It depends on if this car was purchased in California or not. 1989 Camaros had a special emissions package required for California.

435

Your smog pump (AIR pump) is simply what it sounds like. It is a pump that sends air to your cat via a little round tube. This helps complete the combustion of residual exhaust gasses in your catalytic converter along with quickly heating up your cat during cold starts. It is located on the lower side of your accessory bracket right underneath the AC compressor on the passenger side of your car. It has an upper and lower bolt that attaches it to the bracket. These bolts can be removed and your smog pump will come right out. There are some modifications as far as the belt length and re-routing that you will have to do if you remove it. And be sure to check any laws that concern this where you live. Here is a link that will walk you through the process step by step. It even tells you the correct belt to use and how to route it. http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine Hope this will help, Terry :)

yes. take a look at the exhaust manifold, those stainless tubing thingies? yep, smog pump. re-route the belt. pull the pump. pro - cure some plumbing fittings to plug the manifolds. voila! gone