You guys know motorcycles?

Asked by Aug 04, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I know this is an automotive Q & A site, but you guys really seem to know what you are talking about, and I am having a lot of trouble finding information on a 1972 Honda CB500-4cylinder, figured no harm in asking. I found this bike that has been mothballed, and properly, since 1980 and recently re-furbished to run. I say 'properly' because it runs like a champ, 48 HP it's a dang rocket. Red-lines at 9,500 rpm! He wants $3,000 for it. New tires, battery, plugs. 18,522 miles 1) any problems with being mothballed for 30-odd years 2) worth it?

$3000 is a lot of money for an old Honda, it must look pretty good- and that's a lot of mileage for a bike- these are kinda historic and coveted by Honda-philes- a '60s four cylinder is more desirable, but 1972 is pretty close- too much money, too many miles- I think that price would buy a similar BMW or Guzzi which are more usable-

Best Answer

Thanks for input. I was looking at a 1976 Norton also, really tempted on that one, a 850cc Commando. Not nearly as good shape though but decent for age

I agree with jamn' I used to ride, but gave up murdercycles when I had the Fear of God put in me on Interstate 10, before helmet laws, and am lucky to be alive. That Norton you will probably have a near impossible time finding parts

the Norton is really historic- now you're talkin'