Is VW VR6 engine strong enough for an RV ?

Asked by Jan 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM

I'm looking at a 1999 Winnebago 22HD Rialta RV (motor home) with a VR6 VW engine, I know nothing about these engines, Any info I've seen says nothing about it use in RV's (the people selling it is calling it the "Famous VR6", what does that mean)? Are they good enough to pull something on this scale. I can see it working itself to an early death, and what about the Transmission, you know on hilly ground it's going to shift itself crazy.

80,045

I too am skeptical about this engine being used as a truck engine. You need a lot of torque to haul an RV around. How many miles on it?

80,045

I looked up the specs on this RV. Fully loaded they can weigh 9,200 pounds which should have something like a Ford Triton 5.4 V8 or a Chevy V8, not a V6. They did sell these RV's for quite a few years so maybe they were not that bad. I would want to talk to a few owners of these before buying one.

102,415

Rialto models have experimented with a lot of engines in the past, Renault, VW, Audi, I even saw one with a GM V6 in it, all have failed, just too small. If your looking at Motorhomes stick with ones with gas V8's or Diesels, 6 cylinders and larger. Stay away from these minihomes.

Not sure about the mileage, it's on craiglist and the poster doesn't have very much info (which is another gripe for a different forum), I was just trying to at least know a little something about before calling, thank you for responding, I agree on using the true pulling engines (one trip over the smokies will make you appreciate that).

OH P.S. : I just read this morning that Fiat-Chrysler has been also accused of emissions testing fraud on it diesels using apparently similar software as VW. All Ye that owns such engines best be prepared to have your vehicles De-tuned or whatever it is they do to limit Nitrous Oxides .