Winter Volkswagen?

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 03:52 PM

I am looking to buy a vintage VW (either a beetle, karmann ghia, or bus) but a major
problem I see is I live in Upstate New York and we get lots of snow. Is it frowned upon to
drive it in snow? If it'll need regular checkups to keep it functioning, i can do that. Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

I would say that the Karmann Ghia would be too light weight for any amount of snow. The bus has a longer wheel base which will give you more control. My uncle drove a 70's bug for years in the snow and he loved it because of the narrow tires. As you know, all the weight is in the rear so you will always have that above wheels. Personally, I would go with a beetle if you can find a good running one.

Who is going to frown on you? I had a friend who had a old beetle and drove it as a daily in the snow. Go for it!

Just be careful with the old Beetles. They tended to rust out at the front end. Sometimes compromising the steering and front suspension. HTH. -Jim

Only a 4 wheel drive can beat a beetle for traction!